Muelsfell - Need Beta Testers!

Talk about local news, politics, UGA, football, whatever
E-Arkham
n00b

Muelsfell - Need Beta Testers!

Post by E-Arkham » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:09 pm

Hey guys!

Some of you might know that I used to do game design work a couple years ago for an online game. I got burned out on it and quit, but last year the urge to code crept back in. So I wrote a browser game. Now I need some testers to bang on it, make sure everything works well!

The blurb I wrote for the front page of the game:
Muelsfell is a fantasy-based browser game where players control magical constructs known as golems. The only requirements to play are having a modern browser such as Firefox 2.0 or Internet Explorer 7.0 with Javascript enabled. There are no downloads and the game is free to play.

Set against the backdrop of a rich history, players take on the roles of Magi, magical craftspeople capable of crafting Golems.

Each Magus has his or her own workshop with over twelve different structures like the Artificer Lab and Library, access to six different renewable resources and local hunting areas, and the ability to craft their own items and golems.

Join other magi as you scour the world for nine other non-renewable resources such as Adamantine and Gemstones, or crush them in your drive to acquire resources to build your golem creations. Make allies or enemies, or try to keep your head down and rid the nearby woods of goblin infestations.

Muelsfell boasts a market where you can trade resources, items, or even golems themselves with other magi, a job center where you can earn gold to fund your endeavours, and an assortment of periphery systems such as the in-game lottery.
There are still some things left to work on. For example, the in-game lottery doesn't actually work yet and there are some 'blanks' graphics, but building golems and combat seems to work well enough.

Also, it does not look good in Internet Explorer 6.0 at all, but I'm hoping to fix that by the weekend. Problem is that IE doesn't let you install both 7.0+ AND 6.0 on the same computer, so it makes it a real pain to address.

Anyway, take a look at it, try and break it, and let me know any problems that creep up. My name in Muelsfell is Arkham, so you can send me problems there. Let me know you're from Athens, and I'll toss some premium tickets your way so you can test that aspect of it, too.

http://www.muelsfell.com
http://www.muelsfell.com/register.php

Thanks in advance. Hoping to start promoting this by the end of the month and see what happens. :)

Kep

PS - Hope this was the right forum, too -- the video game one didn't seem quite appropriate for some reason.

TJ
Chapter Master

Post by TJ » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:19 pm

ill test for u
Khorne 14/0/0 (retired?)-----Nurgle 1/0/0
black legion 0/0/0

gobos 6/4/0 ------------- dwarves 2/1/0
wood elves 8/5/1-------- vamps 1/0/0

ImageImage

TJ
Chapter Master

Post by TJ » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:16 pm

u got anywhere for me to post issues or glitches?

edit, never mind, i found them but it was WAY to hard to find them
black legion 0/0/0

ImageImage

SoldierOfFortune
Veteran

Post by SoldierOfFortune » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:28 pm

I'll play around with it too.

TJ
Chapter Master

Post by TJ » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:09 am

the main problem i find with this game so far is interlinkability, there is no easy way to access the pages, you have to go though a confusing selection

it took me an hour to find the forums, and i cant always find where my golem is
black legion 0/0/0

ImageImage

E-Arkham
n00b

Post by E-Arkham » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:54 am

Thanks for taking a look!

The world section is definitely a weak navigation area. I keep forgetting to tweak the link selection to remedy that. I'll need to plan how to address this, though, cause the premium upgrade adds some extra navigation; will need to figure out how to make both fit in there comfortable. Maybe I'll convert that into a drop down or something.

[EDIT] - Actually, better idea: I've taken the premium navigation bars and just opened those up for everyone. Let me know if that makes navigation easier.

A table on the workshop page near the bottom should be showing your current active golem... is that not showing up?

Kep

TJ
Chapter Master

Post by TJ » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:11 pm

i noticed after logging in today that there is an additional grey navigation bar, i think this is a GREAT improvement, that severely cut my problems

edit, currently the HOW TO PLAY link is broken, is there any way to just link that back to the tutorial?
black legion 0/0/0

ImageImage

E-Arkham
n00b

Post by E-Arkham » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:24 pm

Excellent, glad that extra navigation bar helped.

The "How to Play" link will eventually be an outline of everything in the tutorial. There's not really a good way to link it back to the game, since someone could be viewing the Help pages while not logged in.

The reason it hasn't been written yet is because I figure some things may change during Beta. Once the game is closer to finalized, that page will be considerably more helpful than it is at the moment. :)

Kep

TJ
Chapter Master

Post by TJ » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:05 pm

what are the premium benefits besides stance and multi-building?
black legion 0/0/0

ImageImage

TJ
Chapter Master

Post by TJ » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:57 pm

I honestly think you need to rethink the repair system. i posted in the game forums, but i believe this is a serious issue that needs to be rethought
black legion 0/0/0

ImageImage

E-Arkham
n00b

Post by E-Arkham » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:11 pm

Premium features: longer queues, active golem in the sidebar, lot more options in what's displayed in the sidebar, ability to add the golem bar to the bottom of pages (that block on the bottom of the workshop page on all pages, in other words), larger basement, shorter mission times, and ability to name golems (which is very useful once you have more than one of the same type).

Goal with the prem stuff was to make it very enticing without it being unbalancing to game play. The list is at: http://www.muelsfell.com/premium.php

Re: the repair system, I responded in the Muels forums. In short, I'm hoping this problem will be addressed once I make the hacksaw available... that'll let you cut up golems and remove arms/legs/etc. That way if it's cheaper to just replace the torso rather than repair, you can do that.

Such is beta! Lot of stuff that's planned that I just haven't been able to squeeze in yet. :)

Right now, I'm gonna focus on the clan system because that's actually a pretty major system that's completely missing at the moment. Well, that, and lots of testing of the game balance so I can start introducing higher than 1st level critters.

[Edit] Also, I gave ya 100 prem tickets so you can play around with those features.

Kep

TJ
Chapter Master

Post by TJ » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:35 pm

HUGE ISSUE, your practice golem destoryed my new golem, wtf mate.

the level ones and such did no damage, but missed alot, so i raised the level to see the increase in accuracy, and your damn practice dummy destroyed my new Golem!
black legion 0/0/0

ImageImage

SoldierOfFortune
Veteran

Post by SoldierOfFortune » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:39 pm

I've been playing around with my character "Mongo" for awhile, and the game shows some promise. I understand the rationale for not allowing one to patch up a golem with one click, but the drop-down menus seem a little cumbersome. I'd rather just type in the amount of my repairs and be done with it.

TJ
Chapter Master

Post by TJ » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:04 am

lol, after you posted your name, i tried to attack you, but you arent in the top 25 yet... ill have to search for you the long way
black legion 0/0/0

ImageImage

TJ
Chapter Master

Post by TJ » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:40 am

im quitting muel for a while, im really busy and theres not much to do yet. if you could lock my accounts for now, id appreciate it
black legion 0/0/0

ImageImage