Restaurants

Talk about local news, politics, UGA, football, whatever
CCCG
Terminator

Restaurants

Post by CCCG » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:48 am

So I noticed that when my wife and I go out to eat, we usually go to the same few places. I'm ready to try something new. What are you guys favorite places to go out to eat? Has anybody tried a good new place?
Classic City Comics & Games
1063 - B Baxter St
Athens Ga 30606
706-583-9009

NegativeK
Chapter Master

Post by NegativeK » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:12 am

Christmas Day, when I realized that I had no groceries and all of the grocery stores were closed, I went to A Taste of India on Broad (in downtown Athens.) It's above what I usually spend on food, but the staff was really nice, and the food was freaking awesome.
Sun Tzu said: "Now the general who wins a battle makes many calculations in his temple ere the battle is fought. The general who loses a battle makes but few calculations beforehand."

Miniature Overload: http://minioverload.blogspot.com/ (Last updated 2009/9/11)

guillaume
Veteran

Post by guillaume » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:29 pm

Yeah taste of india isnt too bad.

A restaurant I always go to is the Thai cafe. If you are scared of spices, then this shouldnt be a problem.

All of their dishes can be ordered with no spice, mild or hot.

the dishes are fairly traditional. Having 3 years in thailand, some of the stuff they prepare really take me back.

My favorite: chicken massala. More Malaysian than Thai, but SO good its not real.

Try it. The portion for the main meals are quite large. What me and my girlfriend do generally is that we order 2 dishes and then we put it in the middle. Then you just pick out of those two. That way you get to eat two dishes instead of one. In pure thai tradition. Normally you would order lots of little dishes (kind of like in chinese restaurants).

The only - to this restaurant: the apetizers. Tried them all, and none of them are really all that. All rather blend and nothing very traditional. Thais dont really do apetiziers, but they've obviously tried to satisfy the western demand, but they havent got it quite right. They are bit pricey for what you get as well.

Just stick with the main meal and a butt load of rice, and some thai beer, and you'll be sorted.

A-

Five and 10 down in Five points. The best restaurant in Georgia by far. The menu is awesome, with excellent of fusion and traditional continental favorites. A bit pricey, but this is 3-4 stars food.
The only thing I hate about this place: service. Way to casual and friendly for an upscale restaurant. But that's because I am an uptight frenchmen when it comes to food.

A- the food is great, but expensive, and I dont like the service.

Another one is called the basil leaf I think. It is near the theatre. Very small place, but nice food. I would say as good the food is as good as five and ten, but with perhaps less exciting choices. Price wise, i think it was fair. Just nice and friendly with a few good choices. Nothing wrong about it. A

There are more I have tried, but cant quite remember the names.
At the meeting: Hello my name is Guillaume and I play Lizardmen. I have been cheesing for a while now.

TJ
Chapter Master

Re: Restaurants

Post by TJ » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:03 pm

CCCG wrote:So I noticed that when my wife and I go out to eat, we usually go to the same few places. I'm ready to try something new. What are you guys favorite places to go out to eat? Has anybody tried a good new place?

hey, if you are looking for a place to eat for valentines day, i have an extra reservation at porterhouse for 5:30. I got one there and one at basil press at 10:00 because i wasnt sure if my lady friend had to work or not, ill be glad to give you the info if you wanna take the porterhouse one.

CCCG
Terminator

Post by CCCG » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:19 pm

Hey, thanks TJ. We've already got plans, so I won't be able to take you up on it though. Some other love pirate on the forums might take you up on it.
Classic City Comics & Games
1063 - B Baxter St
Athens Ga 30606
706-583-9009

kaastel
n00b

Post by kaastel » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:19 pm

I made it my mission when I first came to Athens to go to every eatery in this town. I've done pretty well so far, but it's easy (as you say) to fall into a rut and go to the same place time and again. I've been pleasantly surprised by Broad St. Bar & Grill- I went there on a whim when I wanted to go to Molly's (which has CLOSED! :() and was really impressed with the food. The beer is crazy expensive, though. :( I also quite like Carrabbas, on Hwy 78 near the Honda dealership- always delightful service and great food. Of course there's Clocked, which serves the best burgers in town.

Abaddon
Site Admin

Post by Abaddon » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:20 pm

Thai cafe is awesome. If you like BBQ try Jot 'Em Down where Barnett Shoals turns into Whitehall Road. It was voted best barbecue in Athens last year. I should know, it is in walking distance of my house :-)

Where is clocked?

Aelies
Devestator Marine

Post by Aelies » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:17 pm

Clocked
259 W Washington St
Athens, GA 30601

(706) 548-9175
OoOoOoOo what does this button do.

S0meguy
n00b

Post by S0meguy » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:34 am

Basil Press is situated on the corner of N. Lumpkin and E. Washington. They use good quality ingredients and the simple flavors are well executed, but you can do a lot better for the price. It's a good semi-formal dining experience, but overall I'd say they are too conservative. This is an excellent dating destination. (706) 227-8926

Harry Bissets pitches themselves as a New Orleans style bar and grille. They deliver with style. Heavy, heavy foods in thick sauce with a strong emphasis on well prepared seafood. If you like strong flavors well executed or just a well cooked piece of fish, you could do a lot worse than Harry's. (706) 353-7065

Speakeasy is a Tapas place on Broadstreet hidden next to Harry Bissets. This place is all about east-west fusion tapas. The kitchen used to be pretty slow, but after remodeling last summer you can get seated and eat in around an hour and half. The food is moderately adventurous and the chef has a good understanding of how flavors work together. This is a dining experience. (706) 546-5556

On the subject of east-west fusion, East West Bistro on broad street is the authority. They deliver food which is at once a departure from the norm yet familiar, and do so for a moderate price. This is rarely my first pick, but it is always a solid stand-by. (706) 546-9378

Casa Mia is the new tapas place on Hull street. They serve a nice traditional Tapas menu for a reasonable price. They don't have quite the mastery over flavor that the Speakeasy does, but the food is substantial and approachable. It's worth a visit just for the contrasting take on tapas. (706) 227-4444

Last Resort Grille on Clayton street is for the seriously adventurous. These guys think they understand how flavors blend, and maybe they do, but if you walk in with anything other than a mind open like Sears on New Years Day, you will be disappointed. I'd recommend checking out their breakfast menu. This is a fun place and a sure-fire way to change it up. (706) 549-0810

Five Star Day on Broad Street offers quality home cooking at a very reasonable price. It's nothing fancy, but don't underestimate the value of well executed simplicity. (706) 543-8552

For a while, Bischero had the best pizza in town. They cook in a real stone pizza oven, a fact you pay for in dining time. The wait isn't unreasonable, but this is no fast food place. These guys appreciate food and do a nice casual Italian dinner. (706) 316-1006

The new best pie in town is, in my opinion, Johnny's New York Pizza. All you Chicago pizza nuts can get bent, this is the place in Athens for pizza. I'd suggest asking for extra sauce, however. (706) 208-9400

A Taste of India is extremely overpriced, under portioned Indian cuisine lurking on Broadstreat. Its indisputable quality doesn't excuse it's shortcomings, although if you are desperate for something fairly authentic then you shouldn't write them off entirely. (706) 559-0000

Copper Creek Brewing Co. on E. Washington serves food in addition to their in-house brewed beer. Being as I'm only nineteen I can't speak to the latter, but for a burger-and-fries place you can't beat the atmosphere. (706) 546-1102

Clocked is the trippiest diner in Athens. Old school stop-motion monster flicks from Japan play on the televisions and similarly dated posters cover the walls. They've got a compromise of food that is best explained by simply saying "peanut butter and bacon cheese burger." If you occasionally find yourself in the mood for a burger, eat here at least once. (706) 548-9175

Sultan on Atlanta Highway (next to Best Buy) is your best option for authentic middle-eastern food. Good quality, low cost, light lunch done right. (706) 543-6600

Le Maison Bleu inc. is the little secret of Watkinsville. This place has the best food in Athens, bar none. If you haven't been, go now. If you have been, I don't know why you're reading this because you've already seen the best place in town. Perfect combinations of flavors, adventurous yet approachable, and a good atmosphere. This is the real deal and the total package. (706) 769-6480

In this very same shopping center hides another fantastic little place; Mirko's. The basic scheme is you order a pasta and a sauce. I lack the words to overstate the quality and richness of flavor. On top of that, you can get in and out for thirty bucks a couple, which makes this one of the most reasonably priced high-quality restaurants around. Portions are ample, ingredients are solid, but this is a much more casual experience than one would expect for such quality. (706) 310-1233