Wasn't sure where else to put this topic!

Other Pen and Paper RPGs

Wasn't sure where else to put this topic!

Post by MizzAnthropy » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:35 am

This isn't quite pen and paper, tabletop gaming stuff, but it stems from it, for sure.

Athens by Night is a name that many gamers in Athens are familiar with, but perhaps not in a good light. For those of you that aren't, it's a LARP based on Vampire: the Masquerade. It pre-dates most MET rules, so it was grandfathered in, and is allowed to continue to use the rule set that was used when it started way back when.

I'm posting here to let everyone know that it's a new game. It's a smaller game now, and it's much different than the old ABN that people either loved or hated. We aren't associated with UGA anymore, so we don't hold the games on campus any longer...it's usually set at a private residence, and will continue to be, until we have too many players to fit into said private residence.

We don't currently charge for the games...we used to, and we're going to end up charging a minimal amount, depending on how the game grows. The charges used to be as such: first game was free, and every game after that was $5. We're unsure if we'd be charging the same amount again, at first at least, because we aren't currently paying for a location. There are other expenses, though...refreshments for the games, supplies to print out character sheets, cards and ribbons for items and discipline powers. If we do start to charge again, it will likely be in the $2-$3 range. This charge would simply be so we could look into finding a location that wasn't at someone's home.

We're also thinking of collecting a single can of food from each attendee, to donate each month.

Anyhow, enough of what we may or may not be implementing. Suffice it to say, we'd like more people to come and try out the game. There are only two ST's at the moment...myself, and a gentleman named Jeremy.

A bit about how the game has changed: Part of the reason people were so turned off by the game, so I've heard, was the hack and slash aspect that seemed to be so popular with some. There were other things, too, I'm sure...but the game has changed drastically. Staff has changed, the tone of the game has become more political, and there's an aspect of intrigue that I've heard wasn't quite there before. It's much smaller, so it's more personal.

I know that ABN got a bad rap in the past, which is why I'm posting such a novella here. I'm inviting everyone to come and check it out, and see if it's something that any of you would enjoy. :)

We hold the game the 2nd Saturday of each month. The next game is on July 12th. We have a rather new online forum to keep people informed of rules changes, IG and OOG announcements, as well as game time and location. Please feel free to join and check it out, ask any questions you may have, and come visit us sometime!

The address to the forum:

Thanks for taking the time to read all this stuff...sorry it's so long!