Earthdawn (with a New Zealand Flair)

Other Pen and Paper RPGs
SlimCreeper
n00b

Earthdawn (with a New Zealand Flair)

Post by SlimCreeper » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:54 pm

I'm looking to put together an ED game in the new year when I get back to Athens. Earthdawn is a high fantasy post-apocalyptic medieval game loosely related to Shadowdawn (setting, not mechanics).

From the company:
http://www.earthdawn.com/index.php?categoryid=25

I'm not opposed to playing anything else, but this is the game that I've always loved, and I don't think I'll have time for more than one, sadly. I'll happily GM, though I might be doing more prepared adventures than I used to.

So, just gauging interest: any interest?

Knight of Roses
Veteran

Post by Knight of Roses » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:43 pm

I have always been fascinated by Earthdawn but not sure if I could find the time. Get in touch when you get back and we will see how schedules look.
Come and visit me at Tyche's Games.

Explore the Sea of Stars. Here abide dragons.

SlimCreeper
n00b

Post by SlimCreeper » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:24 pm

Well, I'm back! Thanks for responding, Knights. I'm probably only going to be able to play on the weekends, but I'd like to do something every 2 weeks or so. What are your interests? My idea of Earthdawn is Indiana Jones touched by Lovecraft. With the addendum that Indiana Jone's whip can sprout 7 mystical lashes that block sword thrusts. I'd like to work in some of the politics of the place too.

I won't be starting the game proper until close to the end of January, most likely. In part because I'm waiting on the new edition to arrive, which looks to have made some significant mechanical improvements.

tantric
n00b

Post by tantric » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:39 pm

Is this still open?

SlimCreeper
n00b

Post by SlimCreeper » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:40 pm

Yes! I'm not able to nail down a schedule yet, because we are still in job flux (and I'm back in school for the first time in years and I'm a little scared), but I want to do something every couple weeks. Have you ever played ED, Tantric?

tantric
n00b

Post by tantric » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:10 pm

nope, but i'm familiar with the setting. i'm a GURPS guy, so i'm pretty adaptable.

SlimCreeper
n00b

Post by SlimCreeper » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:52 pm

What kind of game are you into? What kind of characters do you like to make? What is your schedule like on the weekends?

I'm going to try to scrounge up about 3-4 players total. I've got to get up to the game shops and post an ad ... and buy some dice. Gremlins eat my dice.

tantric
n00b

Post by tantric » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:13 am

i generally prefer thinking before fighting, i'm free on weekends and i like characters that have lots of setting tie ins. is there a particular earthdawn book to get - are you using the new dnd4e rules i've read about?

SlimCreeper
n00b

Post by SlimCreeper » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:04 am

I've met up with my old group and actually got more spontaneous interest than I expected. I'm trying to figure out how many people are playing, but we are going to be doing it Sunday afternoon. Once I get a handle on that and know that I have a spot we can meet and chew some stuff over. I know that I have 3 fo'sho's already and I kind of max out at 5 players.

The game system is fairly crunchy, but in a way that encourages role-play more than fighting everything. When I played before, we only fought once every 2-3 sessions, although this run through is going to have a bit more combat. I'm not going to use a battle map if I can help it.

You don't need to buy anything (esp while I'm being crappy and non-committal), but you could pick up the players compendium pdf from earthdawn.com if you wanted to get a head start. Frankly, it has everything you need to run a game except opposition (monsters, horrors and the like)