Thinking about starting up.

Forum for AT-43 Gaming.
Cripple X
Chapter Master

Thinking about starting up.

Post by Cripple X » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:15 pm

Hey Guys,

I went by CCCG today and read the rulebook. It seems very interesting, so I'm thinking about starting up. I am concerned about the local play scene fizzling out. I don't have very much disposable income, and I rather not spend it and the models I buy become absolutely worthless in six months. Are you guys pretty dedicated to keeping the game system going?

After thinking about it and checking over what information I could find on the net, I think I'm going to start a Karman Force.

CleverName
Veteran

Re: Thinking about starting up.

Post by CleverName » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:22 pm

Cripple X wrote:Hey Guys,

I went by CCCG today and read the rulebook. It seems very interesting, so I'm thinking about starting up. I am concerned about the local play scene fizzling out. I don't have very much disposable income, and I rather not spend it and the models I buy become absolutely worthless in six months. Are you guys pretty dedicated to keeping the game system going?

After thinking about it and checking over what information I could find on the net, I think I'm going to start a Karman Force.
I appreciate your dilemma. 40K and WFB certainly have a much larger playing base. It's smart to think about this up front.

I can't speak for the others, but I plan to continue playing. AT-43 is a better fit for me than the other mini games due to my time constraints (no painting unless I want to) and my preference for quick, tactically challenging game play.

BUT you should know that I usually can only make it down to the store a few times a month, and then only on weekends.

I think it is a great game and I wish I had more time to do more demos and see if we could get more folks interested. (I promised to get to Tyche's almost two weeks ago for a lunch time game and I still have not had time to pull that off!! Sorry, Sean.)

Right now there are about 4 people actively collecting and two more that have bought in to a limited degree. Perhaps the others will chime in here and let you know how they feel....

BTW, nice to meet you today.

Cripple X
Chapter Master

Post by Cripple X » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:41 pm

I'm cognizant that a lot of folks can't play too often and that's fine. Playing infrequently is fine as long as I'm still able to play.

Tyson has a lot of good stuff to say about AT-43 and my thumbing through the rulebook has me positively excited. I think the game system will be good for me. I have a 40k Army, but I'm not really too into the hobby aspect, I just like the strategic play and the social interaction. I think AT-43 would be an amazing fit for me. I'm just worried it'll dissappear.

tyson
Veteran

Post by tyson » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:59 pm

Well, I try to play at least once a week and I'm not going anywhere anytime soon. I've already pledged my first-born son to Jon for a unit of commandos and a copy of the AT-43 army builder. I just found out, though, that the army builder is free online but I hate to an indiangiver, so I guess I'll just have to pray for daughters :?
If you show up Sunday Bradley, I'll show you how to play with my models if your interested. Wayne might be there too and he has considerably more models, besides he is our Prophet of AT-43 and very persuasive when it comes to our new religion. Cast away the false idols of modeling and painting which have shackled your soul and join us in laziness!
"Sorry, this is the only extra chopstick I carry."

Cripple X
Chapter Master

Post by Cripple X » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:01 pm

tyson wrote:Well, I try to play at least once a week and I'm not going anywhere anytime soon. I've already pledged my first-born son to Jon for a unit of commandos and a copy of the AT-43 army builder. I just found out, though, that the army builder is free online but I hate to an indiangiver, so I guess I'll just have to pray for daughters :?
If you show up Sunday Bradley, I'll show you how to play with my models if your interested. Wayne might be there too and he has considerably more models, besides he is our Prophet of AT-43 and very persuasive when it comes to our new religion. Cast away the false idols of modeling and painting which have shackled your soul and join us in laziness!
Yea, I'll definately try to make it. When will you be there?

tyson
Veteran

Post by tyson » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:58 pm

Probably around 1 if not 12:30 and I should stick around all day. I don't know if Jon will be there, because he usually isn't on Sundays, but if he isn't he probably wouldn't mind if you used some of his Karmans if that's the army you're interested in. You'd have to ask him to be sure though.

CleverName
Veteran

Post by CleverName » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:27 pm

tyson wrote:Cast away the false idols of modeling and painting which have shackled your soul and join us in laziness!
Yea, I say unto you sitteth on the couch liketh the spud!

If I can make it on Sunday, it will be around 3PM.

Bradley, I think it is a great idea play some games first before you decide on an army. Tyson, Steve and Jon are great teachers.

As much as apes in powered armor, just well, rock, they are the most difficult of the armies to play right now, due to tactics and the very limited choices you have re: troops. It will be prob august until there's a large selection.

EASY AT-43 isn't only free, but it just got a lot better with version 1.5.3 -- that's three upgrades since December, btw.

http://www.tmup-links.org/at43/easy.php

Cripple X
Chapter Master

Post by Cripple X » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:36 pm

CleverName wrote:
Bradley, I think it is a great idea play some games first before you decide on an army. Tyson, Steve and Jon are great teachers.

As much as apes in powered armor, just well, rock, they are the most difficult of the armies to play right now, due to tactics and the very limited choices you have re: troops. It will be prob august until there's a large selection.
That's totally fine with me. I totally love their fluff, and for me that's pretty much the most important part of picking an army. Their playstyleis something I can adapt to. Besides, if they are difficult to play I thnik I'll just enjoy it more.

Cripple X
Chapter Master

Post by Cripple X » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:48 pm

I've downloaded the Easy AT-43 Software and I'm fiddling with it. It's pretty darn neat. I take it that it checks for updates each time it launches?

CleverName
Veteran

Post by CleverName » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:06 pm

Cripple X wrote:I've downloaded the Easy AT-43 Software and I'm fiddling with it. It's pretty darn neat. I take it that it checks for updates each time it launches?
Yes, and it downloads art as needed and updated.

Cripple X
Chapter Master

Post by Cripple X » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:03 pm

I just wanted to say thanks again for yesterday. I had a blast!

Thanks to Wayne, Tyson, and Jon for being so patient and teaching me the rules and thanks to Tyson and Will for being such great opponents! I love forward to all the future games of AT-43
Last edited by Cripple X on Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CleverName
Veteran

Post by CleverName » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:06 pm

I had a great time as well. Looking forward to playing you.

FYI - I won't be there next weekend.

Tyson, thanks for the loan of the RB book, you commie bastich.

tyson
Veteran

Post by tyson » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:51 pm

you commie bastich.
I think that's Russian for: "Collectivist hero for whom we trust to guide our lives better than we could ourselves."

Next time we play, Bradley, we'll have to play at least 1000 and things will be more balanced. But, I still think it was a good learning game for you.

CleverName
Veteran

Post by CleverName » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:54 pm

FYI: I made a new version of my cheat sheet and put up a link off the "AT-43 Game Info and Cool Links" post - the first post.

Cripple X
Chapter Master

Post by Cripple X » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:40 pm

tyson wrote:
you commie bastich.
I think that's Russian for: "Collectivist hero for whom we trust to guide our lives better than we could ourselves."

Next time we play, Bradley, we'll have to play at least 1000 and things will be more balanced. But, I still think it was a good learning game for you.
Heck yea! I loved it!