1500 points chaos mortals list

Warhammer Fantasy Battles, Warhammer 40,000, Necromunda, Mordheim, Battlefleet Gothic, Epic Armageddon, Inquisitor and more!
Morbidangel
Chapter Master

1500 points chaos mortals list

Post by Morbidangel » Fri May 23, 2008 8:17 pm

hey guys. After looking over the wd rules for the chaos mortals listed in the next white dward(its already out over in europe, plus i compared the posted lists on several forums to an official italian list i got access to.

Anyways, the new mortals got the shaft till the new book comes out, hands down, they now suck. But i put together a list that i can start collecting towards as i paint my army. I think its rather small and i wanted to see what your opinions(those who play fantasy much more regularly than me) and see if this seems like a vialble list.

Exalted champion, sword of might, Bane shield, Mark of Khorne, Daemonic mount(juggernaut of khorne), Chaos armor

Sorcerer of Tzneetch(mark of course), Displell Scroll, lvl 2 sorcerer, Chaos armor and handweapon

Warriors(x20), shields, handweapons, heavy armor, Full command, Mark of Tzneetch

Mauraders(x20), handweapons, light armor, shields, full command

Mauraders(x10), flails and light armor

Warhounds(x10)

Chosen Knights of Chaos(x5), no mark upgrade, full command
Charior of Chaos(x1), no upgrades

Chaos Giant, just a plain giant really.

That totaled up to 1500 points exactly. The reason i took the mark of tzneetch on the sorcerer was for the 6+ ward save it gives but also cause it allows the sorcerer access to most every lore(minus all the race specific ones and chaos god specific lists, which i have no access to..so lame). The warriors got the mark for the 6+ward save, it was also cheaper than slaaneshs immune to psychology, and i figurd that woudl give them extra survivability against magic, and missle fire. they are large but cap at 310 points.

I gave no mark to the knights, cause well, i only had 5, and making them chosen only cost 10 more points than taking the mark of khorne for frenzy, which makes them still hit hard, but more reliable to go where i want them to. I will probably field the champion on his own, since he moves fast and hits hard. They gimped the daemonic mounts to some degree, gave them +1 movement and +1 iniative but they only have 1 wound.

I did want to take a battlestandard beared, but do to the points, it seems like putting to much into the heroes with an already limited and expensive selection of troops.

I took the giant mostly cause well i coudl have dropped him and the chariot for another unit of warriors, but i felt the chariot would add more dmg from a charge which i need, and since my army is small, the giant is there to draw fire and to cause terror and hopefully wreck some havoc or hold up a nasty unit to protect my small meager force. Also my list is based around what i have so far already too. I already ahve 15 mauraders with shields and handweapons, 12 warriors, and the limited edition sorcerer on foot model.

This army to me just seems small and not able to do alot, but then again i don't know how it really compares to other lists. So far..all i have to invest in is the exalted champion conversion(the new demon model of the juggernaught plus bits and greenstuff), 1 box of warriors, 1 box of marauders, a giant, and when the new stuff comes out, 1 box of warhounds, 1 chariot, and 1 box of knights(or the spearhead box when it comes out with all the new models).

At least i wont have alot to paint, but again, i wanted to get your opinions on how the list will play out or fair against basic 1500 point lists of other armies.
Lunar Drakes(marines): 2/4/0
Total Points Painted: about 1500 of 6500

Tau, Elsy'eir sept: 0/0/0
Total Points Painted: 350 of 1500

Clan Sarz-Skaven: 0/0/0
Total Points Painted: 0 of 3k
Image Image

SoldierOfFortune
Veteran

Post by SoldierOfFortune » Mon May 26, 2008 3:20 pm

Who is your general? Does the new list restrict what Marks you can take if your General is marked? That's the first thing I spotted, but I also haven't seen the new rules, so it may be a moot point anyway. I would also ask if Sorcerers can take the Tzeench mark, since in the old 'Dex the melee characters would take it and also gain spellcasting powers.

Yeah, I know that the get-you-by list is kinda crummy. But let's make the best of a bad situation. Access to all eight lores gives you a lot of options for spell lists, and like Empire, Lizardmen or High Elves, you can really customize your lore choice based on your opponent. Life spells give you some great options for smacking down gunlines and Wood elves, and Beast lore can stop cavalry armies cold while giving your cavalry and monsters bonus moves. With a relatively small army like this, spells like Howler wind can make the majority of your army impervious to S4 shooting or less.

I'd split your Warhound unit into two units of 5 just so you have more elements in your army that can deal with small missile units or provide flank charges. I'd also consider dropping the Juggernaut and rather mark your chariot and put a character in there, so that the Chariot is US5 and can flank. With the points you save, consider marking your chosen knights- either Frenzy or a bonus power dice would help this force a lot.

Yeah, this list is kinda small, but as long as you have plans as to what each unit's job is in relation to the army, you should be fine. If you want to fix the numbers issue, maximize your points on Marauders and let your Warrior units sweep in to handle the tough stuff.

Morbidangel
Chapter Master

Post by Morbidangel » Wed May 28, 2008 11:11 am

in the new list, marks no long effect your units marks. Now you can mix and match as you feel fit. Under the new list, the mark of tzneetch just simply gives a 6+ ward save. For sorcers, it allows them to also have access to any of the lores of magic from the rule book. Nurgle and slanesh and no mark(since undivided is gone), only have access to fire, death and shadow.

I took tzneetch on the sorcere mostly to open up the lores of magic for diversity. Also it gives him the ward save which an help. I took tzneetch on the warriors for the ward save as well to make them a better anvil type unit, as they now still get a chance to survive cannons.

I planned on splitting the warhounds into 5, i just listed them as one unit. I like there flexibility as they are really good flankers and speedbumbs.

As for the juggernaught, well its mostly cause daemonic mounts, only now have 1 wound, have the same stats otherwise as the old daemonic mounts, but are also movement 9, and init 5. Its a brutal mount, and gives him some extra speed. I was probably gonna use him as a unit on his own to move in and out of terrain and flank and go for some of those artillery crews while using hte knights as hammer units.
Also chariots, i have mixxed feelings on puting a character in them. Chariots are great only if you get hte charge, otherwise they seem to just stay in combat and die after that, not providing any of the benefits of units like rank and standards, and prolonged combat with a chariot is fatal as a chariot seems to only pack that inital punch. Adding a character to it can give it some extra punch but it could also mean your character gets stuck in and doesn't do anything.

I am also gonna drop the giant in this smaller list, as its a big point sing. In its stead probably gonna take a second sorcerer(lvl1, no mark, dispell scroll for 100 points), and a second unit of knights, no command and mark of khorne. I also decided to drop the chosen and just give the first unit of knights the mark of khorne as well as reduce the warriors to 15.
Again i don't like the wd list and lucky for me, this will just be used as a guide line to start building my army, by the time my army gets done the new book will likely to be out. Then i can build my army to 2250 and have it as a real chaos army.

So the new list will be like this

Exalted champion, sword of might, Bane shield, Mark of Khorne, Daemonic mount(juggernaut of khorne), Chaos armor

Sorcerer of Tzneetch(mark of course), Displell Scroll, lvl 2 sorcerer, Chaos armor and handweapon

Sorcerer, lvl 1, dispell scroll(either on foot or add to chariot)

Warriors(x15), shields, handweapons, heavy armor, Full command, Mark of Tzneetch

Mauraders(x20), handweapons, light armor, shields, full command

Mauraders(x10), flails and light armor

Warhounds(x5)
Warhoudns(x5)

Knights of Chaos(x5), mark of khorne, full command
Knights of chaos(x5), mark of khorne
Charior of Chaos(x1), no upgrades
Lunar Drakes(marines): 2/4/0
Total Points Painted: about 1500 of 6500

Tau, Elsy'eir sept: 0/0/0
Total Points Painted: 350 of 1500

Clan Sarz-Skaven: 0/0/0