Newbies training nights???

Warhammer Fantasy Battles, Warhammer 40,000, Necromunda, Mordheim, Battlefleet Gothic, Epic Armageddon, Inquisitor and more!
pepo150
Scout

Newbies training nights???

Post by pepo150 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:32 am

Are there any nights where people new to the hobby get together and play to learn the rules, painting techniques, etc? Do any of the local shops host such an event? Thanks for the heads up.
"Sometimes a whole lotta nothin' is a real cool hand." - Cool Hand Luke

Yuri
Chapter Master

Post by Yuri » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:56 pm

We haven't ever done a 'New to the Game' Night. Painting technique days have been talked about, but never followed through.

However, dropping by the store most weekends will allow you to talk with most of the people who play GW games, as there is usually either 40K or Fantasy going on.

If you are really interested in 40K, wait until next weekend, the 12th. 5th Edition comes out then, and a lot of us are going to be there flipping through the book and going over the new update to the rules. That would probably be a good day to drop by.
"Women are like Voltron; the more you can hook up the better."
"Since when is stealing a rhinoceros considered evil?"

Abaddon
Site Admin

Post by Abaddon » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:10 am

I agree with Yuri. Watching two people play is the easiest and fastest way to l;earn, and I'm sure whoever is there would be willing to play a training game (I will if I am there!). Most everyone who plays at Classic City Comics and Games are pretty cool so you should find somebody you will guide you through. We are always looking for new players to introduce in the hobby (makes for more variety of opponents). As far as painting we have talked about doing a painting training day in the past, maybe if there is enough interest?
Eldar 15-3-0
Space Orks 8-3-2
Orcs 5-3-1
Dark Elves 4-2

Morbidangel
Chapter Master

Post by Morbidangel » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:23 am

woot fresh meat!!!!!

As for the painting days, i know i have tried twice to set up a day to teach painting lessons. People always say they are interested, but getting them to show up is the biggest problem. I myself dont mind giving pointers, or even teaching people some of those tips, pointers, and what not for improving there painting skills.

However, with that said you are in great luck. GW has finally come up with a system of speeding up your armies from the painting perspective to produced decent look and effecient armies. You have a line of paints called foundation paints which cover well straight from the pot. They form a solid foundation to work with on colors. THen they just introduced a new wash set. These washes are paint straight from the bottle. Unlike the inks they don't blotch up and don't need to be thinned at all. They act a little like using the dip method(which is using a wood stain). They cover and provide easy shading to your army. Then the last step would just to find a highlight color and drybrush/wetbrush over it just to give it a highlight and you will be pretty much done. Its a great system and one of the best things GW has done in the past. Now if they woudl just start overcharging people for there crappy brushes.

If you are looking for good brushes, i woudl suggest looking for some kolinksy sable brushes. These type of brushes will hold the paint better, they will also hold there point longer, retain there shape, and wont fray as quickly as the lower quality brushes. I have gw brushes just for basecoats, base work, and terrain painting mostly. I never seem to get my money out of them otherwise, but the kolinsky sable brushes i use, last me a long while. I can go thru several units using one detailed brush with them. I would suggest looking for vallejo's brushes, they are often cheaper than the legendary windsor newton series 7.

Now i don't think its been mentioned yet. But have you invested in any models? If you have your own models already, its alot easier to teach you to play with the force you have. If not, and you are still trying to pick an army, then definitly swing by the store, and talk with the guys.

I would also look at gws website to see the different types of armies out there. If you want an army thats fast and gets into hand to hand, wants to be a close combat and brutal army, my suggestions would be tyranids, orks, dark eldar, blood angels/spacewolves, or templars. If you want a shooty army, to mow down your opponent before they get half way across the board, i would then suggest tau, imperial guard, sisters of battle, or most marine armies. If you want a balanced army that can withstand lots of shooting but still bring the hurt in melee, most marine armies will handle this(both loyalist and chaos btw), and necrons also fit the bill. It really just boils down to one simple thing tho. Do you like the look of the army, is it an army you can see your self painting, and does the army fit your play style. If you base it on whether or not the army wins more or loses more, then your not looking at the bigger picture. You can always learn to improve your tactics thru playing and taking certain units, but if your not happy with the way the army plays, looks and can't bring yourself to paint it, you might not be happy.

Well, welcome to the hobby, and maybe one day i will get to meet you in person and play against you. I rarely get up to the store due to gas prices now.
So good luck in your learning and army selections.
Lunar Drakes(marines): 2/4/0
Total Points Painted: about 1500 of 6500

Tau, Elsy'eir sept: 0/0/0
Total Points Painted: 350 of 1500

Clan Sarz-Skaven: 0/0/0
Total Points Painted: 0 of 3k
Image Image

pepo150
Scout

Post by pepo150 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:55 am

Thanks for the info guys. I have chosen a WF High elves army, and so far have amassed about 750 points of units. I have finished painting a RBT and its crew and an archer unit. I still have to assemble a unit of silver helms and another unit of archers. I am purchasing through ebay a group of swordmasters of hoeth. So, its going. I am almost finished with a game table at my house (still need to flock half of it), and hope to post pictures of the table soon to get feedback on things to change or make look better.
The main thing I am looking for is how to get an army painted that I am proud of...and to play some games! I have an idea for the direction of my army and what I want it to achieve at certain point levels. I was hoping there was an opportunity to learn with others new to the hobby. It seems that most of you guys on here have played together for awhile and it is daunting to step into a hobby with veterans...I will stop by the classic city store and I hope to meet a few of you and learn. Thanks for the help so far.

Chief Nocahoma
Scout

Post by Chief Nocahoma » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:51 pm

If you get a chance come by the store tomorrow @ 2:00 p.m. Will and I are playing his beastmen vs. my high elves at 1750 pts you can see a game a get a chance to see your chosen army in action.

Mo

pepo150
Scout

Post by pepo150 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:05 pm

Thanks for the invite. I don't think I am going to come by today but a future weekend....gotta go pick up the kids yada yada. See you guys soon.

Schlock
Veteran

Post by Schlock » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:16 pm

I haven't been around in a while, but I used to play fantasy a lot. But, don't worry about playing with us "veterans". Just speaking for myself, that title doesn't make me that challenging of an opponent. Everyone is a good sport and has fun with it.
I hope to come back and play again soon and I look forward to a game.

SoldierOfFortune
Veteran

Post by SoldierOfFortune » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:02 pm

The high elves can be very competitive! Good choice.
I'd be glad to run some newbie games. PM me and we can schedule something.

tyson
Veteran

Post by tyson » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:16 pm

I just got back from vacation, so I haven't been playing recently, but now that I'm back I'll prob be up there most weekends with my High Elf army. If you just PM me on a Thurs or Fri before you decide to go up and checkout a game, I'll be certain to bring up a varied point list so you can see what GW has to offer for elfs (elves TM :evil: ). BTW, Swordmasters are a must as with always strike first rule, they are, in my opinion, the best infantry unit in the game.
"Sorry, this is the only extra chopstick I carry."

Morbidangel
Chapter Master

Post by Morbidangel » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:29 pm

high elves are just broken, what with the Asf for the entire army and the fact they they don't have to take all the mandatory core and get extra specials and rare. Its like hey look at me...i am fast and field nothing but elites lol

Just kidding, but i do think that the They need to be severely beaten with a nerf bat and have there ASF rule replaced with a rule that just states that all high elves strike in initiative order no matter there weapons or if they get charged. That way someone with a special magic item that they have to pay out the wazoo to give them ASF actually still has a chance of striking first. At least they are T3 and can be shot to death.

Image Image

pepo150
Scout

Post by pepo150 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:50 pm

How about Sunday guys? A newbie day or anyone else with Fantasy want to get together and play Sunday after lunch? Let me know.

Yuri
Chapter Master

Post by Yuri » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:52 pm

Wait, High Elves don't have fewer mandatory Cores and can take EXTRA specials and rares? What the f***!?!?
"Women are like Voltron; the more you can hook up the better."
"Since when is stealing a rhinoceros considered evil?"

NegativeK
Chapter Master

Post by NegativeK » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:05 pm

Yuri wrote:Wait, High Elves don't have fewer mandatory Cores and can take EXTRA specials and rares? What the f***!?!?
Warhammer Fantasy is broken.

>;D
Sun Tzu said: "Now the general who wins a battle makes many calculations in his temple ere the battle is fought. The general who loses a battle makes but few calculations beforehand."

Miniature Overload: http://minioverload.blogspot.com/ (Last updated 2009/9/11)

Morbidangel
Chapter Master

Post by Morbidangel » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:39 am

yes, high elves get -1 core and get +1 to special and rare choices. So at 2000 points, they only have to have 2 core units, and can take 5 special choices and 3 rares. So that means high elves only have to field two small units of archers, and then you will see knights, dragon princes, sword masters, white lions and chariots, and lots of bolt throwers. On top of that they have really good magic users, and have dragon mages. And then throw in ASF.

Warhammer fantasy isn't broken, just highelves. They are after all the fantasy version of the broken eldar. :lol: :lol:

Image Image