To Preempt the Screams of Hatred

Warhammer Fantasy Battles, Warhammer 40,000, Necromunda, Mordheim, Battlefleet Gothic, Epic Armageddon, Inquisitor and more!
NegativeK
Chapter Master

To Preempt the Screams of Hatred

Post by NegativeK » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:39 pm

As fair warning to all the cries of broken:

As an Eldar player, I will gladly agree to put aside ramming.

The reason I'm stating this is because Warseer is flipping it's proverbial defecate over Eldar tanks being able to move 36".. And with the new ramming rules in 5th edition, this means that they can inflict strength 15 hits when equipped with star engines. I don't field vehicles with holo-fields much, but it'd make for a really nasty ram fest for the bastardly player.

So, I propose the following pact: I will forgo all ramming via my Eldar list with any player who wants to. That goes both ways - I won't sit back and take hits if I can't deal them. But if strength 15 hits on a Landraider (or a Monolith, but that won't bother anyone, ;) ) bother you, I'll willingly set aside ramming if any player wants to.

For the curious, a vehicle gets +1 strength to the ramming hit for every 3" it moved that turn. Eldar vehicles with star engines can move 36" inches in a turn, so they can deal out strength 15 hits (base three from their armor and tankness, plus 12 for movement.) And holo-fields apply, despite being silly fluffwise.
Sun Tzu said: "Now the general who wins a battle makes many calculations in his temple ere the battle is fought. The general who loses a battle makes but few calculations beforehand."

Miniature Overload: http://minioverload.blogspot.com/ (Last updated 2009/9/11)

TJ
Chapter Master

Re: To Preempt the Screams of Hatred

Post by TJ » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:43 pm

NegativeK wrote: I will forgo all ramming ....goes both ways ...I won't sit back and take hits if I can't deal them. ... I'll willingly set aside ramming if any player wants to.
lawls
Khorne 14/0/0 (retired?)-----Nurgle 1/0/0
black legion 0/0/0

gobos 6/4/0 ------------- dwarves 2/1/0
wood elves 8/5/1-------- vamps 1/0/0

ImageImage

NegativeK
Chapter Master

Re: To Preempt the Screams of Hatred

Post by NegativeK » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:57 pm

TJ wrote:
NegativeK wrote: I will forgo all ramming ....goes both ways ...I won't sit back and take hits if I can't deal them. ... I'll willingly set aside ramming if any player wants to.
lawls
But of course. It's silly to think that someone should sit there like a dead fish when they're being rammed. That just makes for a boring game.

;D
Sun Tzu said: "Now the general who wins a battle makes many calculations in his temple ere the battle is fought. The general who loses a battle makes but few calculations beforehand."

Steve
Primarch

Post by Steve » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:54 am

We will see, I'm not going to opt out of ramming, it seems like a fun new thing to try in 5th, because GW failed to take into account all the possible ways that it can be misused. It is already really hard to ram skimmers anyway as they get a dodge roll to avoid it anyway. If it becomes something that isn't fun I'll just opt out of the game all together. That's the point of playing right, to have fun and get away from the suck that is the real world for a few hours. :-)

Abaddon
Site Admin

Post by Abaddon » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:35 am

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't it max out at strength 10?
Eldar 15-3-0
Space Orks 8-3-2
Orcs 5-3-1
Dark Elves 4-2

Nightbane
Terminator

Post by Nightbane » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:41 am

I know in past editions it was impossible for something to go over strength 10, I think Phil is right.
W/L/D
Knights Templar (BT Space Marines)--17/15/3

Born to fight, trained to kill, ready to die, but never will.

Steve
Primarch

Post by Steve » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:47 am

It does not say one way or the other in the rule book.

Nightbane
Terminator

Post by Nightbane » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:07 pm

well maybe they will put it in an errata
W/L/D

Abaddon
Site Admin

Post by Abaddon » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:22 pm

I highly doubt they will allow you to go over strength 10, they never let you do that in previous editions.. How would you do a strength 15 hit vs a toughness value? If its not on the tables then I think it would not be allowable.
Eldar 15-3-0
Space Orks 8-3-2
Orcs 5-3-1
Dark Elves 4-2

TJ
Chapter Master

Post by TJ » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:33 pm

it means the players auto dies
Khorne 14/0/0 (retired?)-----Nurgle 1/0/0
black legion 0/0/0

gobos 6/4/0 ------------- dwarves 2/1/0
wood elves 8/5/1-------- vamps 1/0/0

ImageImage

Steve
Primarch

Post by Steve » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:53 pm

Vehicles don't have a toughness, it would be 15+d6 armor penetration roll against whatever armor value the vehicle had on the side you hit it. Which means it would score an auto penetration on any vehicle in the game. You can't Ram models with a toughness value, that is covered with tank shock. You can only ram vehicles.

Nightbane
Terminator

Post by Nightbane » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:01 pm

will the vehicle get to take a free auto hit shot at it like if a unit is tankshocked?
W/L/D

Steve
Primarch

Post by Steve » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:04 pm

No vehicles can't "death or glory", But the falcon takes an Auto hit almost as had as the vehicle it is ramming does, thats where the brokenness of halofields come in, their rules apply to that hit so the falcon has a really go chance of surviving the hit. :D

NegativeK
Chapter Master

Post by NegativeK » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:50 pm

When you ram something in 5th Ed., both vehicles take the hit. The rammer takes it on the front, the rammed on whatever side was hit.

As for going over strength 10, that's.. Iffy. Strength is defined in the characteristics for non-vehicles, but that same section says that "For all models except vehicles, these characteristics are given a value on a scale of 0 to 10 . . ." In the ramming section, it says nothing about any caps.

It's a weird situation, but I don't see it becoming a problem unless someone decides to throw out a triple holo-falcon ram list of doom. It is, as usual, something that we'll hear a lot more about on the intarwebs than actually see used in a game.

SoldierOfFortune
Veteran

Post by SoldierOfFortune » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:59 pm

I'm with Steve on this. It's just too Orky not to kareen my buggies and tanks in the side of a Land Raider, but we'll see how it turns out.