Question about a possible idea

Warhammer Fantasy Battles, Warhammer 40,000, Necromunda, Mordheim, Battlefleet Gothic, Epic Armageddon, Inquisitor and more!

If your interested, which system would you guys prefer to do this paint/build challenge

Poll ended at Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:57 am

Warhammer 40k
17%
Warhammer Fantasy
50%
Another GW system
No votes
Another Mini Game system(such as warmachine/hordes)
No votes
I like pie!!!!
33%

Total votes: 6

Morbidangel
Chapter Master

Question about a possible idea

Post by Morbidangel » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:57 am

Hey guys. I was curious about something. Currently up at the GW store i am participating in progressive build/paint of an army. I was also just looking in the current white dwarf and they are doing a tale of 4 gamers where over the course of 4-5 months they are building and painting a new army. SO i was wondering, how many of you guys would be interested in doing a buildathon for an army.

Basically this would be something we start months from now. I am just getting opions. I was thinking that we could do a 4-5 month build a thon, maybe 6 months if you guys think you would be interested in such a long prohject. If we start and did a 6mo project, it could start say january and last till june. Each month we can assemble and paint(or just paint if you got stuff awaiting) a certain points level of an army. Say 200-250 points a month. What that would do is allow you to build an army around your busy lives. Invest a little each month into the army, or aquire at once and build at your own pace. It would also allow those who want to improve upon there painting have a chance to take there time with an army, or for those who want to speed paint could.

Its also a great way to either start a new army, or finally get around to painting that army you have been sitting on for months. Its also a way to build onto an additional force, such as expanding your army for the larger apocalypse type games. Now, the real question, is would you guys be interested in the 40k side of life or fantasy. I am including a poll for that part, to see which would be more interesting.

The general idea is again, to take your time building onto an army or starting a new one, or actually starting to paint an army you have had for a while. Each month would be the same 200-250 point battles. We can start doing small skirmish games/megabattles the first couple of months, and then after 2 months, have little mini tournaments and games with our growing forces. Since at the end of 2 months you woudl have either a 400 point force or 500 point force. We can then do mini tournaments for those participating at the end of each month, with month 3 being 600/750, 4 months 800/1000 and so forth.

I myself would be leaning towards 250 points a month. The reason is cause at the end of 4 months, you would have a 1000 point army, and if we opted for 6 months you would end up with a 1500 points force.

So if you think this might be a fun idea, and would like to participate in it, or just simply want to give input, then reply and discuss. Again, i would love to organize this/keep a running tab, and i think january would be a good time to start. The reasoning i am saying januaray, is xmas would be over, some of you guys might get extra hobby funds around that time, and because jan-march always seems to be a slow time for the hobby, so having a reason to play or simply stay motivated in painting woudl be good. Also that time fram is during tax season as well, so some might get extra funds to build onto there armies or add new ones.

If you guys would rather do a different time of the year, also make your suggestions here. its open for discussion and this is again just an idea thread. Once we have done some brainstorming, i will start new poll threads to narrow down the ideas so we can do an organized event thread later on.
Lunar Drakes(marines): 2/4/0
Total Points Painted: about 1500 of 6500

Tau, Elsy'eir sept: 0/0/0
Total Points Painted: 350 of 1500

Clan Sarz-Skaven: 0/0/0
Total Points Painted: 0 of 3k
Image Image

Morbidangel
Chapter Master

Post by Morbidangel » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:20 pm

if you guys vote for a specific game system, at least post too so i know who is after what system. If your voiting for the i don't care response(in the i like pie) you don't have to respond. Also if you vote for other games, definitly respond stating which game system you are interested in.
Thanks.

Image Image

Schlock
Veteran

Post by Schlock » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:01 pm

Well, I'm all for doing this if I run into more cash (I'm job hunting as we speak).

Warhammer Fantasy is good, because I'll just get Kristin's Ogres together. But, 40k is fun because I'm still building my first army.

And if we want to do this on a smaller scale, we could do Mordheim. We could just make warbands that have models that we put time and care into (more than normal, anyway).

Morbidangel
Chapter Master

Post by Morbidangel » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:17 pm

mordheim and necromunda would probably not be that great, because at most you need 12 models. Yeah you could convert them but you could easily do 12 models in a month or two tops, depending on how slow a painter you are.

Other GW games i was refering to was gothic or epic, or the new flying game they have. Gothic is almost to easy painting wise because you might again need a couple dozen ships top, and those are just easy drybrush projects.

Thats why i did say...you can finish armies that need to be finished, or even wife's armies or such. THe only thing about filling in for an army that you already own, will be simply you can add units you have, but your army in the end of the thing does have to be all models you have painted or worked on or finished during the time frame and your army must follow the rules for fielding. Like 40k, you woudl probably have to paint two unit troop units and a new hq during the time frame, tho they don't have to be big full size units if your just adding stuff to an exisiting army.
Me i am thinking of fantasy for me too, since i haven't even begun starting work on my dark elves and with me painting my eldar force already, it doesn't leave me much for 40k except maybe more marines after the new codex. But i am up for either of those two systems myself.

Image Image

SoldierOfFortune
Veteran

Post by SoldierOfFortune » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:53 pm

Boy, to I have to pick? :D

I could see a build-a-thon event as a fun break to try something different. I've been tossing around the idea to run an Ogre or Lizardman army, and it'd provide a fun opportunity to give those ideas a try.
On the other hand, Battlefleet Gothic could be a lot of fun! I'd think it'd be cool if only to add another dimension to 40K games. Campaigns suddenly become a lot more interesting if you actually took into account flying to the planet in question. Planetary blockades could affect how reinforcements come, whether or not orbital strikes are possible, etc.

pepo150
Scout

Post by pepo150 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:32 am

I am voting for the fantasy...I have about 50 individuals that need painting and could use a little motivation. I am also always adding to the army at this point so it would be useful to see how to shade, create depth, and paint faces.
"Sometimes a whole lotta nothin' is a real cool hand." - Cool Hand Luke