warhammer fantasy table completed

Warhammer Fantasy Battles, Warhammer 40,000, Necromunda, Mordheim, Battlefleet Gothic, Epic Armageddon, Inquisitor and more!
pepo150
Scout

warhammer fantasy table completed

Post by pepo150 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:32 am

"Sometimes a whole lotta nothin' is a real cool hand." - Cool Hand Luke

pepo150
Scout

Post by pepo150 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:34 am

So I finally finished my table. Looking for feedback on ways to improve the terrain. Anybody worked with insulation foam before? Thinking of adding an elvish altar...perhaps altar of Khaine....also need some tree foliage. Any ideas on ways to improve....thanks guys.

CCCG
Terminator

Post by CCCG » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:28 pm

The only thing I see that you forgot were the cupholders to hold the beer. Other than that, it looks great!
Classic City Comics & Games
1063 - B Baxter St
Athens Ga 30606
706-583-9009

Morbidangel
Chapter Master

Post by Morbidangel » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:07 pm

for terrain ideas. Hmm...well lets start with some simple things. First off you mentioned insulation board.

Some easy terrain there would be to make some wall sections. First take some cereal boxes. Cut them into long retangle shapes or ovals. Then take some glue(elmer's type), and put a thin layer of glue on one side of the cardboard. This is to be your bottom side. When that fully dries, flip it over, and then the fun part. You can also use masonite board for bases for terrain. Its alot more durable and you wont have to do the glue part. But to cut it you need a good jigsaw or bansaw and you will probably want to sand or bevel the edges so they look more natural on the table. My recomendation for all terrain bases is to go with masonite, as the cardboard and warp. Thats why i suggest the glue layer on it to help prevent warping.

For the wall part, take your insulation board, and do one of two things.
Option 1, the easiest method: Cut a wall sized section, then take a pen or pencil and draw walls/stones pattern into each side. Basically you want to make some indented grooves in the shapes. Then take sandpaper, medium size grit, and fold the paper in half and sand the grooves you cut. Basically you are forming the blocks, so they look like medieval and crude farmers stonework. Then take a fine grit and go over the entire surface of your new wall. This helps create texture in the insulation board and makes it all even too. Once thats done glue it to the cardboard side that doesn't have glue. Let that dry firmly. Then add your flock, static grass or sand to the cardboard area around the wall. Let it fully dry, then apply paint. I recommend using small pints of paint you get from the hardware store. remember you can get them to mix any color you want, so mix some colors to match your modeling paint. Typically goblin green, bestial brown, bleached bone, black, codex grey, and a lighter shade of grey that isn't quite white. That should give you all the colors needed for terrain projects.

Option2 walls: Cut up small stone sized pieces(stone sized to scale with your models) in various sizes, and then sand them smooth for texture and round off the edges with the sanding paper. Then for the tedious part, glue to to your cardboard base, stone by stone. It gives for a more natural feel as you are literally building a small stone wall in about the same fashion as it would be done in real life. Then let dry and apply flock/grass/sand then let that dry and paint.

For making hills. You don't need a base at all. Just use a thinner insulation board, cut out shapes for your hills, ifyou want higher hills stack pieces on it, and sand the edges so they look sloping to give a more realistic look. If you want a rocky edge, cut sharp jagged edges using a knife on one side, and again sand with rougher grit to make it look rough. To add rocks or boulders to your hills, either look for bags of slate from model train stores, or you can make your own rocks from the insulation board like option 2 for walls. Also you can use pine bark pieces used in the gardens or use real rocks(tho these also get heavy).

For foliage and trees. Look at the model train supplys, they have clumped foilage for there trees. They come in greens and also autumn colors for some variety. For an elven army, the autumn colors are very complementing. For trees, you can actually use real small brances/twigs from trees, just wash, let dry and seal and prime before use. Otherwise, they will rot if not treated in some way. Also the train supply stores carry some small tree trunks that you can add foliage too, and also if you can find it, they have tree stumps which are great to add to a piece of terrain. If you are going to do a forest base with trees and forest foliage, definilty use masonite board for the base. Glue the trees directly to the base before you add the foliage. Then do your sand/grass, and painting of the trees before you add the foliage to the trees themself. That way you can get to the base and trunks with paint. Once paint has dried, add your foliage to tree tops and maybe add some small patches on the basework for forest growth and small shrubbery. Also you can add some dead bodies or rusted weapons/armor/shields to your forest for a more personal feel.

Last little suggestion pointer. You can also take felt, maybe some variying brown stages to make some crops. Just cut them out in squares and add strips off a similar color to the top in rows to simulate rows in the fields. But if you want them to look better and more realistic, you can just take a square piece of masonite board, bevel the edges, and then take some strings/putty to make thing rows of lines on the board. Glue them down, and space them accordingly. After the putty or strings have dried, apply glue to the base and add sand over the entire base, making sure its covring your rows of string/putty. The rows give you a raised area that makes the field looked recently plowed. If you want to go to the extreme and make an actually crop growing, look around at aquarium plants(the plastic ones) and see if you can find any that might look like a leafy vegetable or stalks of some type. Then glue them to your base. If you plan to add them, i suggest you go with the putty around instead of the stings, and leave holes for you to plant the plants into after you have added the sand and painted the sand.

Hope those simple ideas help. Yes i know how to make terrain, but i don't make any terrain because i don't have the room at my house to store materials and make the stuff like i would like. Also having little kids around means i have to have a place i could lock up and store supplies at.
If you want to make more elaborate pieces. I would suggest you look online and do some research. Since its fantasy, these simple pieces will give you a good start. For buildings its just a matter of taking the insulation board, and stacking it together and forming the shapes you want. High elf buildings are alot trickier to make because they are art works in themselves.
Lunar Drakes(marines): 2/4/0
Total Points Painted: about 1500 of 6500

Tau, Elsy'eir sept: 0/0/0
Total Points Painted: 350 of 1500

Clan Sarz-Skaven: 0/0/0
Total Points Painted: 0 of 3k
Image Image

tyson
Veteran

Post by tyson » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:09 pm

I don't know if you've checked this out yet, but i know on the games workshop website they have a tutorial on building Elven towers, there was an article with the same theme printed in a White Dwarf. So far ur table looks great tho. :)
"Sorry, this is the only extra chopstick I carry."

SoldierOfFortune
Veteran

Post by SoldierOfFortune » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:35 pm

Looks like a great start.
If you want to get in games quickly, I'd say start at Michael's or AC Moore and get some green and blue felt and use those for woods, water features, etc. Jason and Tyson have some great recommendations, and I'd add that for your temple, see if you can find some Greek columns at a craft store, like what they use for wedding cakes. a couple shattered columns with the Eldar 40K Avatar model would make a great ruined temple.

Yuri
Chapter Master

Post by Yuri » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:02 pm

Yes, some woods would be nice. That way, if I ever bring my Wood Elves by I can have some sort of advantage against you ;).

Looks great though. I think as a High Elf themed table, it could definately use an altar of some sort ot two and some elvish towers. Very cool.
"Women are like Voltron; the more you can hook up the better."
"Since when is stealing a rhinoceros considered evil?"

Chief Nocahoma
Scout

Post by Chief Nocahoma » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:59 pm

Take a look at this site http://www.netterrain.de/

Mo

pepo150
Scout

Post by pepo150 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:19 am

I am thinking of sawing some excess plywood I have, attaching hinges, and then you have a swingout ledge for beer, sheets, dice, whatever...I am partial to gin and tonics myself but I am easy like sunday morning.