Space Marine spearhead

Warhammer Fantasy Battles, Warhammer 40,000, Necromunda, Mordheim, Battlefleet Gothic, Epic Armageddon, Inquisitor and more!
Steve
Primarch

Space Marine spearhead

Post by Steve » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:58 am

The Space Marines of the Adeptus Astartes are Humanity's ultimate warriors, dedicated to the defence of the Emperor and the Imperium of Man. They are barely human at all, but superhuman, having been made superior, in all respects, to a normal man by a harsh regime of genetic modification, psycho-conditioning and rigorous training. Organised into small independent armies called Chapters, their unswerving loyalty is to the Emperor of Mankind and no other. This box set contains: one 144-page Codex: Space Marines, one multi-part plastic Drop Pod, three multi-part plastic Scout Bikes, five metal Sternguard Veterans, five metal Vanguard Veterans, one metal Thunderfire Cannon, one metal Sergeant Telion, One metal Sergeant Chronus, one metal Pedro Kantor and one metal Ultramarines Captain Sicarius

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... rod1560027

Yuri
Chapter Master

Post by Yuri » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:11 pm

Wow, all of those models, with the exception of the Scout Bikes, look bad-f**k'in ass.
"Women are like Voltron; the more you can hook up the better."
"Since when is stealing a rhinoceros considered evil?"

Morbidangel
Chapter Master

Post by Morbidangel » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:22 pm

yeah, just glad GW will be doing away with spear head box sets after the chaos warriors this summer. Its not a bad set, but you get no savings and your loaded with lots of extra characters. On top of that, they give you the tank commander on foot, but not the model for the tanks. Its kinda redundant on that part. I will just wait to get my models and army book when they are released seperately.

I definitly want the kantor model, cause of the fist icons, the stern guard cause they are a must have for my playstyle. The rest is just eh....i don't have to have em, and eventually i might get the models.

The downside is you can get your stuff a few weeks early, which woudl be great if if i couldn't wait the extra time for the book. If my army was fully painted, then i could see maybe investing in these to get the new models.

Oh well....the marines are still looking good. Also i too agree the scout bikes are lame, yet the bikes themselves are actually a little cooler looking than the marine bikes because they are a bit stripped down.
Lunar Drakes(marines): 2/4/0
Total Points Painted: about 1500 of 6500

Tau, Elsy'eir sept: 0/0/0
Total Points Painted: 350 of 1500

Clan Sarz-Skaven: 0/0/0
Total Points Painted: 0 of 3k
Image Image

NegativeK
Chapter Master

Post by NegativeK » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:05 pm

Morbidangel wrote:yeah . . . down.
The spearheads have been repeatedly been explained by GW as a box of first wave miniatures for early adopters. The bonus for buying the big bundle is getting nifty toys and a new Codex before other people, not a discount.
Sun Tzu said: "Now the general who wins a battle makes many calculations in his temple ere the battle is fought. The general who loses a battle makes but few calculations beforehand."

Miniature Overload: http://minioverload.blogspot.com/ (Last updated 2009/9/11)

Morbidangel
Chapter Master

Post by Morbidangel » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:38 pm

well obviously it was a bad idea. The army deals were expensive, but you got a full army, a small discount, you got them early too, and often got a limited edition figure to help give you reason to spend the 200+ on them. The spearheads give you no real incentive but to get the rule book two weeks early. On the whole, stores have spearheads that they can't seem to move. WHY? Because people would rather buy the stuff seperately and not waste money on units they may not use. Also all the spearheads give you alot of characters that most don't plan to use. Also, odds are good if they have an existing force, they probably didn't need a new character model just for a couple of units they might need.

That is why the chaos warriors spearhead will be the last army spearhead available. They wont be doing spearheads any more after this year, because they don't really move like they had hoped. And two weeks early for the rules sometimes just isn't enough of an incentive to infest 175-200 dollars for a box set of troops you can really only add to an existing force, unless you got loads of money to spare.

But i did invest in a spearhead box set, the dark elves. Because i really wanted to get my hands on the rulebook and the new cold ones. But it didn't do me much good, since i now have even less time to actually work on the models due to RL. So was the two weeks worth it to be stuck with at least 46 dollars of character models i don't plan to use or field. Nope. Hindsight says i should have just waited and built the army slowly when i actually had time to build and paint the units.

But the marine spearhead is tempting, but overall kinda pointless too. As i stated, it gives you a few cool models up front, so its great if you already have a marine army with plenty of troops. But its just not tempting enough for me to invest in. I just want the sternguard and the rulebook.
Lunar Drakes(marines): 2/4/0
Total Points Painted: about 1500 of 6500

Tau, Elsy'eir sept: 0/0/0
Total Points Painted: 350 of 1500

Clan Sarz-Skaven: 0/0/0
Total Points Painted: 0 of 3k
Image Image