Tau? Anyone at the store actually play these guys?

Warhammer Fantasy Battles, Warhammer 40,000, Necromunda, Mordheim, Battlefleet Gothic, Epic Armageddon, Inquisitor and more!
Morbidangel
Chapter Master

Tau? Anyone at the store actually play these guys?

Post by Morbidangel » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:12 am

Hey guys. I was wondering, does anyone actually play Tau anymore. I know at once point, over a year ago there was a couple of tau players. I am looking at selling my eldar stuff and investing in a tau army. Mostly i am looking to do another 40k army besides my marines, and preferrably something less common. I know we got several marine, chaos marines, orks, and eldar, and IG/witch hunters. I know we have no necron players, and not really any tyranid players. I wont ever play dark eldar, so i figured i would start tau. Also..i am looking for an new army that i can do a fast to paint color scheme for me. I want to keep it simple, using the foundation paints as a base, new washes, and then a highlight for the main color. Granted tho..the color i am looking to do is a yellow. I have never done a yellow army and with the new system i think i can pull off a decent yellow fast. I plan to use black undersuits cause black is easy to do and red accents. Basically i want to do a tau army using imperial fists colors.

Anyways..i just wanted to check and see if anyone is doing this army. Again i kinda want to play a lesser fielded army.

On a side note, i still have to get my starter box. So if anyone is interested in the orcs from the new starter box, and would like to trade for em or buy em, let me know. I mostly just want the marines to add to my force and the rule book. BTW..the new plastic models are just simple amazing. The tac squad is highly detailed and the missle launcher guy actually has a mk V heresy armor helmet, and another marine has a crusader helm. Also the commander is so awesome too, the pics online don't do any justice. As for the orcs, i have seen the defcoptas and my word, for a 3-4 piece model, they are some of the best orc models i have ever layed eyes on. I got so view them the other day at the GW store.
Lunar Drakes(marines): 2/4/0
Total Points Painted: about 1500 of 6500

Tau, Elsy'eir sept: 0/0/0
Total Points Painted: 350 of 1500

Clan Sarz-Skaven: 0/0/0
Total Points Painted: 0 of 3k
Image Image

SoldierOfFortune
Veteran

Post by SoldierOfFortune » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:50 pm

I think it would largely depend on how you plan to use the army. The Tau have enough unit choices to run many different styles of army, so I could see you getting a lot of mileage out of the list. If, however, you simply plan to hide in the deployment zone and go "pew-pew-pew!" with pulse rifles, a Tau forte, then I could see you getting bored with the list.

Morbidangel
Chapter Master

Post by Morbidangel » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:21 pm

thanks....a reply. :lol:

yeah, well me favorite playstyle is and always has been a shooty list. part of that could be that i seem to do poorly in melee, even with units and armies that specialize in it. Since the tau have no power weapons whatsoever(except on o'shovah which i dont plan to use), i won't be tooling my list up to go into hand to hand. I do however plan to build a balanced list as i think overall this will better suited for a tournament list and friendly play.

Unfortunately i dont really care for kroot nor the vespids. That being stated i cant underestimate both units potential. Kroot make for a decent troop choicem the can outflank, infiltrate, and easily hold their own againat shooting in cover, especially woods. The vespid are also highly mobile marine hunters, with there ability to move around with jump packs and also fleet, so extra movement in the Close ombat phase if nothing is close.

But for now, i am simply starting off with a battleforce box, Commander shadowsun conversion(to use as my commander), a hammerhead and an extra crisis suit. Its not a bad start and i will need to add more to get to the first 1000 points, but its enough to get me painting. now to work out my color scheme. I plan to do something fast and simple. I have found a quick and easy way to paint yellow, so going to go with a black undersuit, and yellow armor. I am just now having to work out the accent color. I was gonna go with Red, because i know it works together, ala imperial fists, but i don't want to use that sept for my markings. So kinda torn between using the red accent, a turquoise accent to go with the Bork'an Sept, or using a purple accent which isn't attached to any particular sept, or just a dark blue, again not attached to any particular sept.

I just finished a test drone(one i had lieing around from way back in the day), i primed it white and did some different yellow tests schemes on differet drones to see which i liked best. Oddly enough, the scheme i liked the best is actually the fastest way to paint it and by far the simplest. I tried two different shades of yellow straight on the white(basically something similar to golden yellow and a darker flatter yellow closer to iyanden sun). I didn't like the dark yellow base, it was to flat and pasty. The golden yellow was good, and i tried one using the new washes(ogryn flesh) and it came out a bit to dark. THe other one was done with yellow ink over it, and it didn't seem to do much at all. The easiest method was just taking yellow ink and going directly over white primer. THen highlight it up with golden yellow, then a golden yellow/white mix and the yellow is done.

As you said, i do plan to not just sit there and be a sit in cover pew pew pew army. I did that before and it was kinda boring. Since 5th is troop oriented and 2/3 of the missions have objectives, i plan to bring a good solid mix of mobility and support fire, and focus more on having troop units 4 units minimum if i can for those pesky objectives. They definitly have alot of options and finding a place in the list for all of them is gonna be hardpress to do.
Lunar Drakes(marines): 2/4/0
Total Points Painted: about 1500 of 6500

Tau, Elsy'eir sept: 0/0/0
Total Points Painted: 350 of 1500

Clan Sarz-Skaven: 0/0/0
Total Points Painted: 0 of 3k
Image Image