thinking of changing my color scheme

Warhammer Fantasy Battles, Warhammer 40,000, Necromunda, Mordheim, Battlefleet Gothic, Epic Armageddon, Inquisitor and more!
Morbidangel
Chapter Master

thinking of changing my color scheme

Post by Morbidangel » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:19 pm

hey guys, thought i woudl also seek your opinions. A few of you have seen my amethsyst fists and all, but i am thinking of changing the color scheme a little. I am frustrated trying to paint the purple sections. In fact..most of my army is up to that point, and thats where i seem to stop, because having to mix the colors to get the right shade of purple. So i am thinking of just changing out the purple sections of the armor for a different color. Mostly i am looking at something that is a bit easier to paint and where i can pretty much just paint right out of the bottle, and not so much mixxing. Everything else in the color scheme paints quickly, from the grey to the black to the white sectios, even the few flesh areas and purity seals. Its just the purple areas that take me forever to get over the hurdle of constantly mixxing colors for each highlight and layer. On top of that..instead of the 3 layers i am doing for everythign else..i have 5-7 layers to get it just right.

So...i am adding a picture i did of a revised scheme in a darkish red.

Other options is doign a brighter red(basically blood red to orange), a dark blue(regal to enchanted) or a brighter blue(enchanted to ice), or a green(dark angel to snot green/touch of scorpion green as extreme highlight).

So what do you guys think. Should i just bite the bullet and stick to the purple(if i do..that means having to find a similar shade in premade pots), or change the color scheme. If i change the color scheme, it also means rethinking the name of the chapter too. But thats trivial, as the fluff was never set in stone, tho trying to stick to the fist icon as i have it sculpted on some models.

Let me know what you guys think. Cause right now..its really the thing that is holding up most of my army from being finished.
Also i am looking to just simplify things a little to make what little painting time i am able to squeeze in more productive feeling.
Lunar Drakes(marines): 2/4/0
Total Points Painted: about 1500 of 6500

Tau, Elsy'eir sept: 0/0/0
Total Points Painted: 350 of 1500

Clan Sarz-Skaven: 0/0/0
Total Points Painted: 0 of 3k
Image Image

Abaddon
Site Admin

Post by Abaddon » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:21 am

I'd say keep your current color scheme....those marines look pretty awesome how they are right now IMO
Eldar 15-3-0
Space Orks 8-3-2
Orcs 5-3-1
Dark Elves 4-2

Schlock
Veteran

Post by Schlock » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:15 pm

I haven't had a chance to see your current painted marines, but I like the gray and deep red. I've always been partial to the red gore and scab red colors, and I think it would make sense for a crimson fist army.
However, I'm sure that whatever you decide will look great.

Morbidangel
Chapter Master

Post by Morbidangel » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:52 pm

well here ya go.
My current color scheme
http://www.pbase.com/morbidangel/amethyst_fists

See..the thing is i do love the color scheme. I also posted a similar thread over at the B&C tryin to get opinions to. SO far..the two comments there are to keep the scheme and then giving me pointers for trying colors of purple that they recommend.

Also...on the B&C over the past year since i started painting them, i have gotten mixxed comments, that the color scheme is one that is well executed, that they can't believe that the colors actually work from just seeing a test scheme via the marine painter.

My only gripe is just painting the colors. I don't really have a problem going back over the less than 2 dozen models that are actually finished and covering up the purple with the red. I can also easily aquire the paint and pre mix the highlight for red i would use because GW paints are much easier for me to get(i can stop by several stores for them).
If i go for red..i would base in skab red, then go over that with red gore using what i would consider a wide highlight, then give it a red ink wash or a 5:1 red/black ink wash(using the old inks, not the new red wash), and then highlight the edges in a 50/50 mix of red gore/blood red.

With the purple, i have to either base it in the vallejo purple that i have(the name eludes me), then add a layer of a 50/50 mix of the purple and an amethyst color from reaper. Then give it a purple ink wash, then go back over with a 50/50 mix or more closerly a 40/60 mix, leaving the washed down color in the cracks. Then i have to do another highlight of 20/80 or aproximate mix, for a highlight, then a final extreme highlight of that mix with white added(for about 60/40). For characters and icons, i have to add a straight amethyst layer and then an amethyst/white layer in place of the last highlight.

Needless to say...its not something that is actually easy to do via speed painting methods. I can practialy do 5 marines at a time for the grey armor, and everything else, just the purple, i am down to 1, maybe 1:5 models, pushing for 2 models at a time.

So i am looking at the change heavily, even tho the grey and purple looks really good. The reason i am leaning towards the red, is because it still looks good against the turquoise eye sockets/power weapons, black, gold accents, and white and grey sections. Blue if done right looks good, but it would have to be dark. I am kinda wanting to avoid the blue because of the turquoise. Green makes em look to dark angel. Orange might be another option, but its probably to bright. Yellow is out of the question, mostly cause i have to go over the other models where purple is at, and secondly, i have a method for painting large areas of yellow, all the detailed areas would be to much.

Also..if i did decide to swap to red..i could just skip going back and handpainting army symbols and use the hundreds of decals that i have sitting around and just touch up the decals a little. Since all the decal sheets have the imperial fist icon and the crimson fist icon. That would also help to make all the army icons look unified.
Still in the debating stage right now...gonna sleep on it persay for a week. For now i am just gonna assemble alot of the stuff to round off my company and army.

especially since i have 5 terminators, 45 marines, 2 vindicators, a land raider, 3 rhinos, and one more drop pod to assemble, plus a sternguard and my chapters version of pedro kantor when i can get a hold of them.

Been trying to clear up the box sets of mini's sitting on the shelf so i can start really sorting out my bitz a bit more and clear some shelf space.

Now for the real problem, if i do decide to change the color scheme to say the red...i have to work on a new name for the chapter. Perhaps go with the Avenging Fists or something like that. I have also had a few negative comments on the current chapter name of the amethsyst fists.

Image Image

Morbidangel
Chapter Master

Post by Morbidangel » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:50 pm

Its official. I am gonna change the color scheme from purple to red. I can easily do a dark red, and part of the reason i avoided the red before was i had just done a red army. red is much easier to paint than purple, mostly because there is so many shades of red, and i have had lots of experience doing a fast red without much mixxing.
Purple also doesn't always photo well and as much as i loved the scheme, it will look just as good in red, as it does in purple, if not more so, because the grey/black/and the shade of purple i had used made the army very muted and cool. Also red stands out alot better over black, which will help as i am doing the army symbol of a black background, and all the robes/banners are black as the base too.

So..it will take time but since i got nothing but time, i will start redoing the models slowly as i incorporate new models or models that have been needing to be finished.

Guess i will start off just trying to get the hq and two troops knocked out first and go from there.
Thanks for the input guys.

Image Image

Morbidangel
Chapter Master

Post by Morbidangel » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:58 pm

Ok...now time for the daunting task of picking a new chapter name.

I have gotten the first ten marines done with skab red basecoated over the purple(tho only two of those marines were fully painted from before). I must say..it looks even better so far than the purple did. The purple was dark and brooding, the red kinda makes the models pop a bit more, which is a good thing.

As for names..i will post the ones i am contemplating right now.

(ones i am leaning towards)
Avenging Fists
Fists Malevolant
Penetint Fists

(other names that so far have been suggested or sounded ok)
Vigilant Fists
Furious Fists
Inexorable Fists
Fists Implacable
Fists Indomitable

Image Image

Schlock
Veteran

Post by Schlock » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:32 am

Other ideas:

Bloody Fists
The Red Hand (like from the Robert Jordan books)
The Bloody Hand
Knights of Amaranth (Amaranth is a plant used to make deep red dyes, the color also goes by that name).

I'll try to think of more.
Of the ones you have, I lean toward the Avenging Fists (Avenge the attack on the Emperor. Avenge some unknown deed that began the chapter.)

Good luck to ya.

Morbidangel
Chapter Master

Post by Morbidangel » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:16 pm

thanks schlock. Truth be told..i am torn really between the Avenging Fists, and the Fists Malevolent. I do like the ring of the later.
I am really wanting to avoid naming it a color. Partially because i am also reworking a tiny bit of fluff for my chapter, either being direct descendants of crimson fists, or from imperial fists. Been researching crimson fist fluff, and from what i have gathered, there near destruction of their chapter has taken place in the last 200 years of the 40k time line...yet the last founding of marine chapters was in 726M41. Since they updated it to 999M41..that gives me a good 270 years..so they could have had a young captain go to found a new chapter with a small company or squad or two so using the crimson fists might work.

Again..i am working on fists and as catchy as Avenging fists sounds...i think i might go with Fists Malevolant, it sounds a bit evil but also..i just like the word malevolent. Also malevolent pretty much means, having, showing, or arising from intense often vicious ill will, spite, or hatred. Which i could easily incorporate into the fluff. Meaning that the chapter was founded in response to some ill will from a sector or something.

As far as the painting goes...MAN i am so much more impressed with the look of the red. I am going with a darker crimson based color than the purple and it looks so much better. The purple and grey/black was almost to dark and brooding and very much similar in tone and color, but the dark red is just vibrant enough against the neutral grey/black and even goes great against the white markines and vetarn stripes.
So far..i have repainted over the purple of 12 full mariens(have to finish a few extra touch ups of the now green purity seals, and some retouching of some metal areas). I have also changed another 13 marines, 5 scouts, 5 sternguard, and a captain, tho i have to finish highlighting the red on those guys. But still, having about 36 marines out with the new red trim/fists and helm looks AMAZING. I did end up keeping the purple company markings i had used on the knee pads. I figured since i am redoing the fluff a little, i will just having each battle company have a similar stripe company marking but with different colors. So i will have to do a touch of purple, but the knee pad is easy to do.
I will have to get pics..but now that there is a tournament coming up..i will see about just getting a 1000 point list together and see if i can't just get that 1000 points painted up in the next few weeks for the tourney and just take pics then.

Image Image