Hobby Projects

Warhammer Fantasy Battles, Warhammer 40,000, Necromunda, Mordheim, Battlefleet Gothic, Epic Armageddon, Inquisitor and more!
Morbidangel
Chapter Master

Post by Morbidangel » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:39 pm

100 dollar haircut..where does she go...atlanta. Jeez you need to make sure she is just getting a hair cut, and not a color, perm, wash and cut and style.

I feel ya...we all have that same problem. Try working at GW with that condition. My wife actually told me to quit cause i was spending most of my meager paycut on the hobby..course when i worked there i got so much more for my buck.
If i only had all the stuff i had when i quit now...man. Just to give you an idea..i had enough models back then to field 3 2500+ fantasy armies and 7 2000+ 40k forced all of them were different armies. I even had enough metal daemonettes when i left working there to field a 3k all metal daemonette army back then. Sucks i had to sell it all to pay the bills when i had to not work due to medical reasons 6 months later.

I still have a ton of esher stuff tho. I think back then i had 3 or 4 of every juvie and ganger pose. It was so i could convert up models for an ever changing warband(or so i say to justify it).
Lunar Drakes(marines): 2/4/0
Total Points Painted: about 1500 of 6500

Tau, Elsy'eir sept: 0/0/0
Total Points Painted: 350 of 1500

Clan Sarz-Skaven: 0/0/0
Total Points Painted: 0 of 3k
Image Image

pepo150
Scout

Post by pepo150 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:46 am

Hey disregard that last post. That is what happens when you drink wine and post on message boards.
"Sometimes a whole lotta nothin' is a real cool hand." - Cool Hand Luke

greenlantern1
Assault Marine

Post by greenlantern1 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:13 am

Still working on my chaos renegades that I debuted at the tournament and my old school crimson fist boys (just picked up 2 more old school jet bikes.)

I have also just finished up stripping all my old rogue trader IG figures and will be starting on them as soon as I get a chance. . .
"Quis custodies ipsos custodes"
Decimus Junius Juvenalis ca. 100 AD

"Though my guards may sleep and my
ships may lay at anchor. Our foes know full
well that the big guns never tire."

Huron Blackheart, The Tyrant of Badab
901.M41

Orkonfire
Scout

Post by Orkonfire » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:35 pm

Quick off the general subject. What does everyone use for a clear coat??

Morbidangel
Chapter Master

Post by Morbidangel » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:11 pm

i have used both the GW sealant and Testors sealants. GW is basically a good middle grade that isn't glossy or too extremely flat. It provides decent protection for the coat. However GW's constant price hikes makes alternatives and replacements a good search.
As for testor's i would recommend doing a double coat of sealant using testors gloss coat first followed by a coat of dull coat. I usually wait a good 24 to 48 hours before applying the dull coat. The reason i suggest both like that is because the gloss coat will really make the models glossy however it provides the best protection. The dull coat is flat but hardly provides much protection at all. By combining the two you get the protection and a flat almost satin like appearance. This keeps your models almost as you painted them, while providing the ultimate protection. I think a can of testors costs you like 3 bucks, and its about 1/3 the size of gws protectant.

As always make sure you prime during the right time of the day. During the summer, if you seal your models outside, its best to do it early in the morning around 8-9 am, or before dusk(after 7pm). This is so your sealant doesn't dry to fast and provide a flaking on your models, and also since the humidity is high, it helps to do it in the evening more than the morning since most of the humidity has been baked away from the air during the day. Wintertime you want to do it when its not damp and in the peak of the day, or if you can, inside using a ventillation system.

Image Image

HurricaneGirl
Veteran

Post by HurricaneGirl » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:22 pm

Testor's Dullcote. Twice. I tried GW's stuff once, and for something that said 'Matte' on the can, it sure was shinier than 'ardcoat. Made me sad. I tried the Armory stuff too, but it wasn't what I wanted either. Dullcote is the stuff. On a stick even.

Morbidangel
Chapter Master

Post by Morbidangel » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:54 am

yeah gw's stuff always has an irregular formula. When the can works..it works great, other times its too shiny, sometimes too flat. But the guaranteed approach is testors. There gloss is glossy, there dull is super flat.

Image Image

Abaddon
Site Admin

Post by Abaddon » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:17 am

Wow, good to know about testors clear coat and the time of day to clear coat. I usually end up doing my clear coats after 7 anyway but I have also done it earlier in the day and noticed the flaking. I got my shades done last night (and I think they look great!) so now its my sorceress and spearmen next.
Eldar 15-3-0
Space Orks 8-3-2
Orcs 5-3-1
Dark Elves 4-2

Morbidangel
Chapter Master

Post by Morbidangel » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:50 am

yeah the heat and the humidity both play a part when priming and sealing. The hotter it is the closer you need to have your spray to it. The humidity isn't as noticiable on primer but it is on sealant because if its really damp or humid, the sealant will end up giving you a foggy coat thus almost ruining your model. If its too hot when you prime tho, the primer will dry before it hits the model and it will give it that dusty look, where it almost looks like you got fine sand on your model.
Those are the primary reason that people have started priming indoors using a ventillation box. If you do a search online i am sure you can find ways of building one. Basically its just a box that you spray into with your models in the box, and it basically has a fan that pulls the air or in this case the spray fumes out of the room, so you can safely spray indoors with out all the toxic chemicls ruining your lungs and annoying the misses or parents.

Woot phil, knock them dark elves out. Take some pics too.

Image Image

Orkonfire
Scout

Post by Orkonfire » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:04 pm

Where is a good place to get the Testors

Morbidangel
Chapter Master

Post by Morbidangel » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:48 pm

hobby lobby is a great start. Also you could probably try athens hobby if its still in the mall. I haven't been in the mall in over a year so i couldn't tell you if its still there. Other than that you could try michaels, but i was just there today and didn't even think about looking at there models spray paints. Those are the only three places in town that i can think that sells testor paints and model kits.
I also suggest supporting the local stores like that..but if they don't carry it...then i guess look online for the product.

Image Image

HurricaneGirl
Veteran

Post by HurricaneGirl » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:36 am

Forward the fight!! Updated my log. These, minus a few touchups and basing, are done. (and playable by my standards)

They are waiting at the Eldar bus stop hoping that their ride will be along shortly...