Morbid's Project log

Warhammer Fantasy Battles, Warhammer 40,000, Necromunda, Mordheim, Battlefleet Gothic, Epic Armageddon, Inquisitor and more!
Morbidangel
Chapter Master

Morbid's Project log

Post by Morbidangel » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:11 pm

Ok guys. You asked for it..your gonna get it. Pics of an ongoing project log. This is featuring my Tau force and its expanding colors/units.

Ok...before i get into the pics, some reasonings behind the army. First off, there are so many marine armies out there, and i needed a second army that wasn't marines. Back last fall(around september i think), i began picing up a new army for a build and paint thing the GW store guys were running. It was basically buy and paint 250 points of an army over 4 months, at the end you would have a painted 1000 points. So being the sap i am and needing motivation i took up the challenge but alas i failed. Part of it was getting a job and not having time to paint yet alone being able to get up there to play.

So when deciding on the army i decided to actually pic an official tau sept world, one that wasn't a major sept and also one that didn't have an official color scheme. Anyone who knows me knows that i don't do official schemes really well. As for painting the army i decided that i wanted to do a color i never painted before. Well my options were pretty limited what with playing in the hobby since 97 and painting a crap load of different armies and different color schemes over the years. It boiled down to a primarily orange army or a yellow army. Since there was an orange tau force being played at the GW store..i opted for yellow. So as i was working on the scheme i put it into the painter on the dawn of war games. Anyways it boiled down to essentially stealing a color scheme that already worked well with yellow, and so i borrowed the imperial fist color scheme. Hell it works might as well use it right.

SO thats how my color scheme came about. Since i painted the guys last fall, i have gone back and i am adding a few minor changes to the original unit of fire warriors. First off i am bring the highlights on the red up to a brighter highlight. Before i was going for a darker burgundy but i think they will look better in a brighter red, plus the markings will stand out. Also i added yellow to all the weapons, so instead of dark grey pulse rifles the fire warriors got a little more yellow. Also went back and changed the tau icon on there shoulderpads from grey to white. I am also going to go in and add brown leather straps on the warriors to give them a bit more detail and an additional color to break up some of the black of there cloth. Since i am now taking more time on them i am gonna get them done right.

So heres the pics.
First up..the sept symbol as painted on the back of my commander

Next the firewarriors and two of the 4 tanks i am working on. Frontal pic and an overhead pic. Tanks are just basecoated mainly, the yellow has been worked up to its golden color but lacks highlights.

The suits (Commander, two crisis suits and the 3 stealth suits and a marker drone)

And the newest additions. The other two tanks that need paint, and two gun drones. Then theres another suit and the other squad of firewarriors plus the bases for the tanks and drones with a basecoat of brown on them

As for whats above..thats my 1250 point army, but i also have some kroot i should work on and need to assemble the other 3 stealth suits. That would take me to 1500 points if i end up taking those and all the kroot i have. After i get these done..i do plan to expand the army to 2k and hopefully to 2500 by next summer so i can take the tau to next years 'Ard Boyz.
Last edited by Morbidangel on Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lunar Drakes(marines): 2/4/0
Total Points Painted: about 1500 of 6500

Tau, Elsy'eir sept: 0/0/0
Total Points Painted: 350 of 1500

Clan Sarz-Skaven: 0/0/0
Total Points Painted: 0 of 3k
Image Image

Abaddon
Site Admin

Post by Abaddon » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:00 am

Very nice.
Eldar 15-3-0
Space Orks 8-3-2
Orcs 5-3-1
Dark Elves 4-2

Morbidangel
Chapter Master

Post by Morbidangel » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:46 am

small update. Um since i posted the pics of the tau, i have given the other two tanks there first coat of yellow. I also finished the blue engine glow which you can't see from the pics on the first two tanks, and the crisis suits and the two gun drones i have so far. The engine glow is just one of htem small details that really add to the overall feel of the army.

Also decided to change the turrent on the railguns so the one that was painted recieve a brushing of white over the black barrel. In the end i am going to give them both full yellow gun barrels. I think it will enhance the overall look of hte railguns and get rid of some of the black that seems a little overbearing on the tau tanks so far.

On other notes.... i guess i am having the Eldar BLUES. I am going to have to end up stripping the paint off these models, but its really difficult as a painter and an artists. Stripping the marines was easy, as i wasn't really liking the old scheme i had. But stripping the eldar is very difficult. I loved the color scheme i used. It was also the epitome of my painting skills. That is also why i haven't really painting anything on the army in over 2 years. I started the eldar back when they released the new army book, and i was just getting back into the hobby then too. Well woah is me..i chose an amazing scheme, the colors were perfect. Hell they should have been it took me 6 months of testing on some older models before the new book was released, and working out the perfect color scheme.
However the downside is i was painting each figure at that time like its own model. Each color was mixxed and layered so that the highlights blended up. The blue alone had no less than 7 layers of shades. I also chose to have no metalic paint and did all the weapons in a shadowgrey look. It was almost like doing NMM but my idea was a grey wraithbone look, since fluff wise, everything they use is made of wraithbone. So the eldar shouldn't have any metal.

Oh well, in the end i guess i am still just grieving the loss. Amazing models, well done, having to go. Throw in the fact that the few games i played with them were horrible losses, the motivation to finish them has just never been there. So anyways, i took some pics of the few models i painted so i could hold on to them as a reminder to myself.
http://s679.photobucket.com/albums/vv16 ... ght/eldar/

I guess in the end. Looking back at the eldar and seeing my potential in them, makes me realize that what i need is a slow side project to toss in with my speedier army projects. I need to build an army where the models are slightly to heavily converted, on amazing bases, and painted with the best of my painting abilities. Guess its time to do invest in a daemons army. But i will simply work on a unit at a time. At least with a demons army i wont make the same mistake as my eldar. With demons if i fail to go thru with finishing the army i can at least push myself to finish the unit and sell them. With my eldar i couldn't do that cause as always i decided on a non official color scheme.

Well now back to the tau. Guess my grieving rant is over.

Image Image

Abaddon
Site Admin

Post by Abaddon » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:06 pm

Have you ever thought about painting armies and selling them on ebay? You are a pretty good painter and fully painted (professionally) armies on ebay usually fetch a nice premium
Eldar 15-3-0
Space Orks 8-3-2
Orcs 5-3-1
Dark Elves 4-2

Da MaCHiNE
Scout

Post by Da MaCHiNE » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:21 pm

Yeah,

I've seen armies painted to the caliber of your painting style go for anywhere from $600.00 up to $1200.00,... of course the $1200 ones had alot of conversion work but hey who knows - You might want to consider this as a valid form of income.

R
Da MaCHiNE - "HaS SPoKeN"

Morbidangel
Chapter Master

Post by Morbidangel » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:30 pm

i have thought about it. However, the deal then becomes, finding time to paint, yet alone finding time to paint stuff that isn't something i am gonna keep and use. I am already working to find time now inbetween work. I also gotta look into getting back into school. Something else i have been really thinking about doing is making and selling some terrain. I had thought about building some pieces that i could then cast in resin and maybe even mass producing that way. Specifically some more themed pieces such as tau and eldar styled buildings. Reason is people with those armies might be interested in buying those alien style structures.
I want to look into a way to make some profit from home so i can cut back from working for someone else to have more time to work on school full time. Also being able to make money from home would be nice.

Painting of mini's overall isn't really a profitable biz. Reason being is most people really wouldn't pay what the painted mini is worth. Take for example, most golden demon entries. Most people spend 40+ hours on a single mini. Yet most people would pay for a single mini painted in that standard around 200-300 dollars on average. Do the math and even at 400 dollars for a single mini, that was converted and nicely painted and took 40 hours to paint....thats barely 10 bucks an hour for the paint job. Armies are even worse. Your saying that 1200 is good for a nicely painted army. Well if i spend 10 hours per fig, and had an army that was around 1500 points, which included say around 50 figures. The initial cost for that army is around 300-400, so that means they are only paying 800 for 50 figs, and at 10 hours per fig, thats 500 hours paining those guys to a great quality. So that means i get basically 1.50 per hour at best. No real profit in doing that.
Now if i paint the army for my self, use said army in several tournaments, over the course of a year, rack up some rewards from the tournaments, then sell it for 1200, that might up the profit, but its still not really worth selling painted stuff on ebay.

Also i have sold painted stuff on ebay. I had a 750 point cygnar army for warmachine i have sold on there. I made around 450-500 for it. It was painted to a slightly above average gaming standard. The army also was painted in around 45 days, for a dragon con tournament. It was used in 3 battles only, and had a display board built for it. When i sold it..i got around 500 bucks. It didn't fetch what i put in it honestly, but i sold it because i needed extra money at the time and was getting out of the warmachine hobby at the time too.

Image Image

greenlantern1
Assault Marine

Post by greenlantern1 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:09 am

The models look terrific. . .I agree that painting armies for sale is difficult. I have done it a few times (mostly on historical minis) and you can make some money, but you almost have to give up painting for enjoyment. . .you know when something is a job its not a hobby.
"Quis custodies ipsos custodes"
Decimus Junius Juvenalis ca. 100 AD

"Though my guards may sleep and my
ships may lay at anchor. Our foes know full
well that the big guns never tire."

Huron Blackheart, The Tyrant of Badab
901.M41

Orkonfire
Scout

Post by Orkonfire » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:04 pm

Something you might think about is selling the service of painting armies. That way you don't have to put up any capital at the beginning. You advertise to paint someones army for them and they have to supply the minis for you to build and paint. That way you can charge for the painting only and set a rate as to how well they want the army done. Also you could sell the service of putting the armies together for them. A friend of mine did it in college and made some pretty good money at it.

Morbidangel
Chapter Master

Post by Morbidangel » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:20 pm

again that isn't always great. I have done some commissions in the past, the problem then becomes one of not so much painting to your best standard but trying to paint there models to a standard they desire within reasons of how much your actually getting paid for them. Its then a juggling act of giving them as much quality as you can within reason of what your time is actually worth.
Once again its not totally worth it also because then you have competition. Do you lower your own values to compete against others who are offering similar services or do you stick to your guns and get no work. To be honest people who paint minis for a living often times paint using speedy methods of washes and wet/dry brushing to knock out models quickly with maybe one highlight for the bulk of there profit due to the fact that they can generally knock those quality of models out fast for a meager wage, while they paint a great quality model every once and awhile earning less for there quality of work when they do those pieces.

I had once set up a price setting for models, basically charging the value of the model for basic guys based on quality. For a simple basic scheme of just base coats, shading and dry brushing i would simply charge the retail cost of the model. Meaning if you provided me with a 10 dollar fig, you would get a basic paint job for 10 bucks. For a better quality of shading, and one to two highlights(not drybrushed), i would charge 2 times the cost of a model, and for a better quality model with hand painted details i would charge more of course.

All in all, i did a few commissions and in the end it made me decent money for the models, but the people who were satisfied with there models never came back for repeat work. I guess they found cheaper prices elsewhere.

Image Image

Morbidangel
Chapter Master

Post by Morbidangel » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:00 am

Alrighty, time to get back on topic.

Finished the red highlight on the commander, stealth suits and fire warriors. The firewarriors just have the small area of gold on the circle section of there pulse rifles to be refinished, and the edging of their bases. Not really liking the vermin brown trim so going to use a more earthy color like i used on my marines.
Also the other two tanks have there first coats of yellow. Haven't been able to get alot of painting done, partially cause my work schedule is the suck right now. Having to work from 6pm to 4am kinda sucks as i end up sleeping all day it seems, which is hard enough to do when you got boys running around making noise. So been tired and either not felt like painting or finding it just hard to get any painting time in.

Also on another note, i have decided that i am going to also start working on a Daemon Army for 40k. This will be a slow slow progress army. I am going to convert most of the units, and will probably work on the army one unit at a time. Also means i will only buy one unit at a time.
Since a few of you said you wanted to see my take on daemons..might as well work on it slowly. Probably wont really start on them till after i get my tau that i have now done. Gonna get the book, work up a tourney list to work on and work out some conversion thoughts and ideas. I will say i plan to do a slaanesh themed army. However since an all slaanesh army in 40k isn't great. Its a bit disappointing tho how 40k seems to almost make you do a mix army to be effective while fantasy allows more room for mono god lists. Anyways..i will end up converting the other gods units out of daemonette models. For example i already have ideas for bloodletter versions and plague bearer versions. Think of one eyed nettes with bloated stomachs or in other words...fat chicks lol. And blood letter versions basically being nettes wielding massive weapons and having horns jutting from there heads. Thats just conversion ideas and not painting ideas either. Still thinking of the bigger guys and other units. Guess that will have to wait till after i get a list of what i want to field worked out so i can see what marks. I want the army to be all female, and the army as a whole to scream influenced by slaanesh, yet the units to also represent the marks they will actually be.

Image Image

Morbidangel
Chapter Master

Post by Morbidangel » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:55 am

hey guys. No real update on the tau. Mostly this weekend i was working long and late shifts and sleeping all day and then with my daughters bday party, had to put up the models to make the house look all tidy(since i have been using the dining table for my painting).

Anyways however i have been brainstorming my future project. I am still planning to finish the tau and work on my marines here and there, but its the project for that 40k army that is going to be pushing my limits in the hobby(both modeling and painting wise).

So the idea is to create a side project that will be slowly done inbetween my other 2 40k armies. Think i am just gonna give up on fantasy all together as i just lose interest in any army i ever attempt to do there.
So i want to do an army that is pretty much all converted or at least 90%of it. The army is also going to have a some really cool looking base work done to match a display board for the army. The goal of the army is simply to build a 2k point army so i can hit up tournaments of various sizes(but not ardboyz for a while). Also the idea is to do my best paint jobs on this army that i can do. That means more than likely it will be done a unit at atime, and even then..a model at a time. So i wont be building the units up front, just one unit at a time(but the display board will probably be done up front because i am going to have an army list to build towards.

SO...heres my overall dilemma. You guys once said you would love to see my take on a daemons army. However i want to do a slaanesh themed army but in 40k, slaanesh is fragile and hard to do a mono list. SO i could do a mixxed list and model them up to be slaanesh looking. No problem there however my problems come with the idea of the army. First off its an army that is pretty much all deepstriked in, so objects aren't an issue in tournament play, and they seem to be brutal if used right, but at the same time they have there flaws. I am still needing the dex in hand to get a real judge of the units but still up in the air on the army. However some ideas on the daemons would be bloated netters with mono eyes for nurgle marked ones and 2 hander wielding nettes with horns for blood letters. For seekers i thought about maybe doing some centaur based netters mixxing marauder horses with them, and for fiends i thought maybe either some of the spider/nette combos or scorpion/nette hybrids so i could have some claws and a tail to work with for the rending effects. Daemonprinces would probably end up matching some unit and if i included juggernaught riders it would just be nettes on the back side.

The other reason i am torn is i keep thinking about building a chaos marine list, but making it completely around the theme of fallen sisters of battle. The idea of the corruppted sisters is just so tempting. Always love the sisters models, hell it was my first 40k army back in second edition. But to have evil, corrupted, daemonic sisters, its just to darn appealing to pass over. The downside of the army, i would have to really push my sculpting skills(which aren't up to doing full models) and make my own resin cast versions of a multikit to make doing a full army easier. Upside is if i can pull it off..i can always make more, and the overall cost of the army will be less than the daemons as i won't have to buy alot of models for the army, just lots of resin and time. If i do opt to go with the corrupted sisters, i would definitely use the fallen sister from the fluff, Miriael Sabathiel as my army general. I would also probably field units that would fit what normal sisters would take, so not sure just how effective it would be overall. But having khorne melee oriented sisters and maybe a unit of noisemarine sisters would be nice too. As for vehicles for the army i could take vindicators and just convert some exorcists up to be daemonic looking to fit the fluff. As normal sisters wouldn't have dreads, termies, oblits, or defilers. It would also leave out bikes as well but predators are iffy cause i could use converted looking immolators for them...kinda.

So which army would you guys like to see more.

Convertest sisters or twisted slaanesh daemons??

Image Image

Morbidangel
Chapter Master

Post by Morbidangel » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:18 am

argh....after some research on just resin stuff, it looks like making my own corrupted sisters is on hold for a good while. The initial cost on just the stuff needed to make molds so you can cast, which includes the silicone for the molds, release agents, liquid resin, and all the stuff i would need, i am looking at 200 bucks easy in just that alone. That doesn't include the time and effort i would have to first do to sculpt the stuff.

And here i thought making your own resin bases would be cheaper than buying resin bases but darn was i wrong. Looks like buying resin bases, terrain and kits in general isn't a bad deal since your only paying for what you need, not an entire workshop to make the stuff in.

So looks like the sideline project is a bust for now. Guess back to working on tau and marines.

Image Image

Orkonfire
Scout

Post by Orkonfire » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:59 pm

After reading your post about a chaos army I would have to put a vote in for Sisters of Battle. In all the time I have been playing 40k I have never seen a SoB chaos army. It would allow you to have free range as to what they look like and rules behind them and such.

Morbidangel
Chapter Master

Post by Morbidangel » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:37 pm

yeah the chaos sister army is the most appealing idea. Mostly as its not really done. Theres some who have used SoBs in a chaos army, but they do very little conversion work and they just look like sisters with chaos wings, or chaos weapons. I may still work on the idea. I can always just get the basics out of the way between now and next tax season. The basics being the concept art, sketches, ideas narrowed down, army list ideas, unit ideas, and start working on pushing my sculpting skills. Then come tax season i could have enough to do the initial investment in the mold making stuff and go from there. That would also allow me to really finish or futher my tau/marine armies more as well.

As for the chaos sisters, i guess the real issue comes to do i use the sisters codex as it is, or the actual chaos codex. If i use the chaos codex as it currently stands, it wont be totally competitive. The reason i say that is most of the competitive chaos lists for tournamentes include the lash princes and obliterators. The daemon prince isn't that much of an issue..i could easily convert up a living saint into a daemon prince. But also i myself wasn't happy with the current chaos marine dex, as i think it sucks as a whole. It has some useful stuff and the troops aren't to bad, but it put some units to the forfront and no brainer options and made other units more important obsolete or just a waste of space. Like chaos lords, the core commander of any renegade list, sucks compared to the usually cheaper and better daemon prince. The marks are ok, but competive armies tend to favor using plague marines or berserkers as there core troops.

So if i do decide to use the list i would really have to decide what list i am gonna use or go for so i can work the army. The other downside is with the resin casts, i technically wouldn't be able to sell them to others either. I could if i didn't include any GW weapons, models or anything and made them completely scratch built. Also i would have to make them stand out so boldly that they wouldn't really look like GW products, but that would also take away the overall look that these are fallen chaos sisters. So if i do end up casting the army would be predominantly mine, but i could use the resin molds to make some what unique bases i guess or for future non gw based ideas later on.

Image Image

Morbidangel
Chapter Master

Post by Morbidangel » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:40 pm

Hey guys, not much of a project log update. I honestly haven't done a thing in july. In fact, at best i have just basecoated one vindicator the entire month. To much working late night shifts and getting full time hours(which is a lot for a part timer, but hey its money right?).

Anyways, i have however put the tau on hold. Part of it is the yellow scheme, painting yellow in mass amounts gets frustrating fast. The other reason is i figured i would really try to finish up a battle company of marines or at least get 2k+ painted. I am shooting for at least the 2k or more mostly so i can get an effective tourney list going for most atlanta area tournaments. I figured since i am not getting alot of just for fun play times in, that shooting for a tournament army would be a better goal. Also if i can shoot for 2500 and can get it painted, and it be an effective list i can perhaps be able to play next year in the ard boys. Also going for getting my battle company finished would allow me to maybe work in some apocalypse sized battles down the road too.

Anyways, i have put off on alot of ideas for a new army for 40k. Again right now i need to finish what i got in my marines and tau. I do however want to get a fantasy army up and going tho. However chaos in most any forms, although highly appealing just isn't an army i have fun playing, yet alone painting. I always want to avoid slaanesh when i do a chaos army but its the one army i tend to get drawn too. So i have decided to part with my chaos mortal stuff(so if anyone is looking for more there ya go).

I have however decided on a fantasy army. This is one i first miss having. I once had a 2500 points fully painted skaven army. In all it was 3k worth easy, and i miss playing them. Since skaven are coming out later this year, i am just going to go with them. I am going to avoid the full army purchase. Instead i am going to do the army justice and use the fantasy army as a means to push my sculpting skills. Mostly i am going to be building the fantasy army up to a tournament size, but capping out at 3k(again probably for ard boyz). 3k is also all i really need for fantasy. I will also give the army a themed idea for the bases, and try to do some conversions thruout each unit where possible. These conversions will simply be either some command conversions, or something in the middle of the units like squabbling or something, anything really to make each unit draw its own attention. That will take some work, however it will be fun. Again i will end up building this army from the ground up(withthe exception of the unit of rat ogres and plague monks i already have). Tho the stuff i already have will need some stripping and rebasing, but thats no big really. Other than that i will wait for the new rules, new models, and go from there. Since i know i will need lots of rats, i will start off with a character, and then maybe 1 or 2 units of clanrats/slaves. As for my overall idea, its to be a lesser warlord clan, with a few of its members belonging to one of the major clans. Also i am going to base my army in the floorwork of a dwarven throng/hold/keep. Basically they have invaded some lesser dwarf hall and i want it to show. SO..hint to any dwarf players. If you got some extra, spare dwarf bits, say weapons, shields, mugs, pipes, banner tops, heads, or even a dwarf corpse or two i might be interested in some bitz buying towards the end of this year. Its time to resurrect Clan Sarz again. Lord Vasqueek Dwarfkilla will return again.

The idea is now to just consolidate and get my current stuff for 40k finished, and slowly advance on a fantasy army i can enjoy playing for the fun of it, and can be proud off. So, my 40k ideas aren't totally tossed out. I might revist the ideas of chaotic sisters later, but i will be pushing my painting skills and my converting/greenstuff skills with the skaven.

Oh yeah...as for whats now on my work table. More marine goodness. I am currently trying to finish off the first two rhinos, the AOBR dread, a vindicator, a 4th tactical squad, an assault squad, and a librarian who i still haven't figured out how to go about painting.

Any ideas on that librarian? Should i go with the standard codex blue psyker, with touches of my chapters colors, or give him my chapters quartered scheme with blue accents such as the gloves, lighting bolts on his jumppack and legs? I am kinda leaning towards the later, which would be better i guess if he had a helm instead of helmetless head.

Image Image