Mordheim

Warhammer Fantasy Battles, Warhammer 40,000, Necromunda, Mordheim, Battlefleet Gothic, Epic Armageddon, Inquisitor and more!

Would you be interested in playing in a casual Mordheim league?

Yes
86%
No
14%

Total votes: 14

Abaddon
Site Admin

Mordheim

Post by Abaddon » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:44 am

Ok so my newest project is building a Mordheim board after getting inspired by some awesome Mordheim boards at this site: http://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.c ... errain-f4/

Would anyone be interested in a casual Mordheim league?

Mordheim is basically a skirmishing game based on Warhammer Fantasy. You have a "warband" that gains experience equipment, injuries, skills, ect and they battle other such warbands in scenarios. If you already have a fantasy army, than chances are you can build a warband out of models you already own! If not, you only need anywhere approximately 8-12 models to start a warband. Also I already have around 3 warbands as it stands, so I could easily lend a couple out.

Games are much shorter than fantasy games, lasting usually around an hour. Its a fun time watching your warband evolve over time as its members gain skills, equipment, are hired on, are killed, ect. It is basically the Fantasy version of Necromunda.

My plan is to finish building a basic 4X4 Mordheim table and then maybe have an event of some sort to kick start the league. I say "casual" league because I don't want people to feel like they have to commit to playing every so often. I feel it would be less pressure and more laid back just to say the league is on and you can play against other people wherever and whenever. Anyway, i just wanted to gauge some interest in this idea. So you guys let me know what you think!
Eldar 15-3-0
Space Orks 8-3-2
Orcs 5-3-1
Dark Elves 4-2

kabniel
Assault Marine

Post by kabniel » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:57 am

i have recently begun thinking about this. i'd love to join you. i especially like the emphasis on casual play since i can't make it out to athens nearly as much as i like. (it's difficult going from playing multiple times a week to playing once every 3 or 4 months. i'm still living in denial.)

would there be limits on anything? for example, i hear a bit about shadow warrior band being a little over powered.

Abaddon
Site Admin

Post by Abaddon » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:43 pm

I would say any of the warbands in either the official or unofficial lists on this website:
http://www.mordheimer.com/warbands/warbands.htm

I would not want to ban any particular warband, but rather strongly discourage power gaming by using any broken warbands. This campaign would be for fun, and would encourage everything to pick a warband they would enjoy. That being said if someone brings an obviously WAAC Shadow Warriors warband I may decline to play against them :-)

If things turn out the way I would like, then after I get my board together, I may have a little "Mordheim League Party" at my house so that everyone interested could watch/ participate in a few games and learn the rules ect. I'm thinking maybe I could throw some burgers on the grill and have a few beers to emphasize the fun aspect I am shooting for with this. I think that would be a good time! Besides a few games in my gaming room it hasn't been used much so it would be a good christening for it. Anyway just an idea. I'll keep updates on how my board is coming on this thread.
Eldar 15-3-0
Space Orks 8-3-2
Orcs 5-3-1
Dark Elves 4-2

greenlantern1
Assault Marine

Post by greenlantern1 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:03 pm

I would love to play some Mordheim on occassion. I have several warbands ready to go and have been looking for an excuse to paint some old figs.

Let me know when you want to kick it off. If we do it at a private residence I would be amenable to bringing a few adult beverages for those old enough to partake. (provided the host says ok) :D

I also have some mordheim terrain pieces that we could use in a pinch!

"Quis custodies ipsos custodes"
Decimus Junius Juvenalis ca. 100 AD

"Though my guards may sleep and my
ships may lay at anchor. Our foes know full
well that the big guns never tire."

Huron Blackheart, The Tyrant of Badab
901.M41

Morbidangel
Chapter Master

Post by Morbidangel » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:15 pm

ugh..another campaign i would love to be apart of. Darn my living to far away and having little funds to participate(well mostly being strapped for cash to get over there).
However depending on the time frame to get games in i might could do mordheim. It would be great as it would let me build and convert some rats that i could use in my skaven army at some point.

It would also be great too because the games are shorter, if you were to meet up in a good location even just once a month, you could spend the standard 2-4 hours playing and get in 2-3 or more games of mordheim in that same time frame.
So i would say...i am very interested in building a warband for this.
I also feel the same about necromunda too as its one of the few games i have a fully painted army for lol.
Lunar Drakes(marines): 2/4/0
Total Points Painted: about 1500 of 6500

Tau, Elsy'eir sept: 0/0/0
Total Points Painted: 350 of 1500

Clan Sarz-Skaven: 0/0/0
Total Points Painted: 0 of 3k
Image Image

Schlock
Veteran

Post by Schlock » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:15 pm

I'd love to play. I enjoyed playing mordheim a few years back. I like having my group progress from fight to fight.
As long as I can work out times to play, I'm in.

Yuri
Chapter Master

Post by Yuri » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:54 pm

I'd be up for giving this a try as long as it falls on a day I can make it. I'd even be willing to spring for some of those burgers so you wouldn't have to provide everything for us moochers :).
"Women are like Voltron; the more you can hook up the better."
"Since when is stealing a rhinoceros considered evil?"

pepo150
Scout

Post by pepo150 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:14 pm

I am down for this and can help with some of the fundage, I need to read up on the rules for this, but as long as the meeting times works with my schedule, I am in.
"Sometimes a whole lotta nothin' is a real cool hand." - Cool Hand Luke

Abaddon
Site Admin

Post by Abaddon » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:06 am

So I was at Hobby Lobby yesterday looking at materials for making the actual board. I was thinking about using a thick card base and then mounting 1.5 inch thick Styrofoam on it to make the board sections. I would have 2 X 2 foot sections to make it modular. Then i could cut into the Styrofoam to make rubble or sloping ground. Also one of my ideas was to make some city canals so thats why I am going for the 1.5 inch. Anyone have any advice on if this will work? I would buy a hot Styrofoam cutter for working with the board sections and to cut the canals. Also I understand that you have to coat Styrofoam with PVA glue before spray painting it to prevent the propellant from melting the foam. To anyone who has worked with this before: do you have any advice or insights?
Eldar 15-3-0
Space Orks 8-3-2
Orcs 5-3-1
Dark Elves 4-2

Morbidangel
Chapter Master

Post by Morbidangel » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:37 pm

well phil, i have some experiences.
For the board, if your wanting to make it modular, i would suggest some thin plywood or what i prefer is masonite board. masonite is hard, and thin and lightweight which is why i use it. Cutting the insulation board, you can use a the hot wire, or just a hot knight in general. The downside of a hot cutter is it tends to melt the foam some as well as the fact that its hard to cut a large board in two with them due to there design. So in general that giant hobby saw that gw released would work too. Also you can sand the insulation board with just sandpaper so cut your basic shape and fine tune it with sanding.
If you are going to do a canal you can line the canal itself with first popsicle sticks if you are after a wooden lined man made cannal, or cut some extra insulation board and make it look like brick edging. Or just go with a natural creek like look too if you want.

As for coating it in glue, you can do that if you really wish to spray it. Personally i wouldn't bother using glue except to glue on sand or glue on static grass later on. Your best bet is to get some small cans of paint mixxed up to match the color paints you want. Some acrylic latex house paint works fine, and just simply brush on the paint. Overall this cuts out the time you need to wait for the pva glue to dry, unless of course you are gluing on sand, but even then i would just brush on paint. Thats what we did at GW and it works. Spraying it can be bad, cause even if you put glue all over it, it might still melt the foam because your coats of glue might not be perfectly covered unless you mixxed color into it, and if thats the case you might as well just brush paint it.

I am looking at doing some display boards for my armies soon i just have to aquire the foam board myself. Also one other advice if you are layering the foam boards to make some higher areas or hills, use a hotglue gun. Thats what most are recommending for building display boards, but i haven't tried it myself yet. PVA glue works fine for gluing the boards together but again you have to let them dry and i know it will hold wooden surfaces as well. Best advice would be to try differnt things and see what results you like best. I got the hot glue gun relativiely cheap and plan to try it out for gluing the foam to the masonite board, but will probably use PVA glue for gluing foam to foam on the top of my boards.

Also just for the record, what warbands do you have available for use to borrow, and when do you estimate this would start up. I would be up for starting a campaign after the middle of september(as my wife and mother in law will be in israel first two weeks of september), so i was just trying to get an idea or timeframe so i can try to get some models for it.
I have the original rule book, but with all the FAQs and changes, i would simply have to download any new rules.

Also could you print a list of the warbands you are allowing to be fielded. I know i was thinking about skaven as it would just be some models for my army, but i was curious to what warbands we got available to pick from too.

Image Image

Abaddon
Site Admin

Post by Abaddon » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:31 pm

OK when you say insulation board do you mean the Styrofoam? I know some people use the 8X4 sheets of insulation foam you can get a Lowes but I was thinking of using the blocks of styorfoam from hobby lobby that they sell. I was planning on lining the canal with foamboard and using an Exacto knife to cut stonework into it so that it is a stone canal. I bought some balsa wood though and I will be using that to accent much of the ruins. Thanks for the info on the glue/painting the Styrofoam, I think I will just use some housepaint to paint the foam and don't bother with spraying or using glue. Also i have a hot glue gun already so i will continue to use that.

OK so here were the warbands I think would be available to play:

The Offical Warbands:
Averland Mercenaries
Beastmen Raiders
Carnival of Chaos
Cult of the Possessed
Dwarf Treasure Hunters
Kislevite Warband
Marienburg Mercenaries
Middenheim Mercenaries
Orcs & Goblins Hordes
Ostander Mercenaries
Reikland Mercenaries
Sisters of Sigmar
Skaven Warband
Undead
Witch Hunters

The Unofficial Warbands

Amazon Warriors
Bretonnian Knights
Dark Elves Warband
Lizardmen Warriors
Norse Warband
Pirate Crew
Pit Fighters
The Outlaws of Stirwood Forest
Tomb Guardians

Again, all of these warbands would be legit for this campaign. Please note that the only one I took out was the Shadow Warriors.

As far as what I have to loan out, I'v got a Mercenary and a Skaven warband from the original boxed set still on sprues, and because of the fantasy armies I have, I can make an Orc Warband, a Dark Elf warband, and an Undead warband. Right now I am planning on running an Undead warband. So you could borrow the models from my fantasy armies but you are also welcome to borrow the Skaven or Mercenary warbands and assemble them to use (if you wanted to paint them even better :-) ).
Eldar 15-3-0
Space Orks 8-3-2
Orcs 5-3-1
Dark Elves 4-2

tyson
Veteran

Post by tyson » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:11 pm

Why did you take the Shadow Warriors out? Malekith sympathizer...
This sounds like fun and I would definitely be down to drink your beer and eat your burgers Phil ;} Also I have a fantasy building I could put together for the campaign.
"Sorry, this is the only extra chopstick I carry."

Morbidangel
Chapter Master

Post by Morbidangel » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:16 pm

Well since you put it that way..i might be interested in assembling and painting those skaven for ya. Might as well do the mercenaries too while i am at it. It would give me something to paint right now...as my marines are put on hold. Mostly because i ran out of the Jade green paint i use as a base coat. Have to get more of that soon i guess but i got alot of rats to paint already. Might be willing to actually buy the skaven off you if you want(or trade for them since i got ork stuff i know you needed).

As for the styrofoam, you can use that. But the reason the professional terrain builders don't use styrofoam is because that stuff falls apart really easily. The isulation board is a solid piece and wont break off like the styrofoam, so you wont be doing repair and touch ups as often either. But thats a preference too i guess in the long run, as the styrofoam might be cheaper to get. As it stands, at the local home depot, a 1/2" that is 4' x8' of foam board is arond 10 bucks while the 2" sheet is 25 bucks. Its costly but its more durable as a base in the long run.
As for making buildings, the best material i have found would be foamboard(if you can get it), because you can easily draw on them like paper and cut them with a knife in the shape of the ruins. Also people lke insulation board because you can do lots of different carvings into them for bricks and just sand the edges to make them feel more realistic.

also examples of the buildings i was talking about. This grey death chap from dakka dakka has some good WIP pics using insulation board, foam board, and balsa wood to make some buildings. His thread form page 5 and up has alot of mordheim style buildings you can use for ideas.
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/po ... 06892.page

Actually page 5 and 6, for the first building, page 9 has a ruined mordheim building and page 10.

Image Image

Abaddon
Site Admin

Post by Abaddon » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:26 pm

Do you want to trade the skaven warband for those deffkoptas? Let me double check on them when I get home tonight.

I think I will go for the insulation board. The styrafoam only comes in 1X3 foot sections in th ebiggest size, and if just did a 8X4 of foam from Lowes I can attach it to an 8X4 of plywood and get 8 2X2 pieces. Could I just use the hot foam cutter on the insulation or just a hobby saw or knife?
Eldar 15-3-0
Space Orks 8-3-2
Orcs 5-3-1
Dark Elves 4-2

Morbidangel
Chapter Master

Post by Morbidangel » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:30 pm

just a hobby saw or knife will cut it. Heck even a steack knight would cut the insulation board, no need to ruin your exacto blades right.
I myself, have a hot exacto blade since i have a wood burning kit(part of a side bonus of the kit). And i agree, you would get more useage from the larger board if your just looking at applying it as a base and then carving. I am working on two 2'x2' display boards, and the masonite board that home depot had for like under 4 bucks was a 4'x2' sheet so i just got it cut in half by homedepot and two perfect bases for the display boards, or in your case sections of a table. You can also get plywood in thin 4'x2' sheets as well and have them cut at the store too.

Image Image