Mordheim

Warhammer Fantasy Battles, Warhammer 40,000, Necromunda, Mordheim, Battlefleet Gothic, Epic Armageddon, Inquisitor and more!

Would you be interested in playing in a casual Mordheim league?

Yes
86%
No
14%

Total votes: 14

kabniel
Assault Marine

Post by kabniel » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:49 pm

quick question re: base sizes

How concerned with base size are people? I figure if you have a large creature on his tip toes to fit on a small base, that would be an issue, but what about small based items given a larger base? Also, round vs square? I figure most folks will have square bases as their warband probably comes from the army they play in fantasy. However, I think some of the stuff I've got are on round bases. Curious if I'm going to need to hunt down some squares or be fine as is. (but that's dependent on me actually finding certain models again... you'd think after a year, a person would be unpacked from moving)

Abaddon
Site Admin

Post by Abaddon » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:13 pm

Two words: Casual Campaign. Square base, round base, I don't think it matters. I think as long as there are no obvious blatant advantages than its ok to play with. :-)
Eldar 15-3-0
Space Orks 8-3-2
Orcs 5-3-1
Dark Elves 4-2

Morbidangel
Chapter Master

Post by Morbidangel » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:11 pm

yeah base size doesn't really matter in this game. It is however usually square base as the game is afterall evolved around fantasy. That being said...generally the average base size is the 20x20mm square, as thats the average size base for a standard human size figure in warhammer fantasy. Monsterous size creatures such as rat ogres and ogres and trolls that are allowed in the warbands are usually on the 40x40mm base as again thats what they are fielded on in warhammer.

But i wouldn't care if the bases are on round or square, or diaroamic bases. I will say however that putting your figure on a larger base, such as putting a dwarf hero in this game on a 40x40 base will actually be more crippling than helpful due to the fact that this game is generally played in ruined buildings so you would have a harder time getting him on the floor sometimes. It also means more models would technically get into base to base contact with him if you really took into the base contact rule.
Best rule of thumb would be to put them on a base they fit on without too much extra, as that will help your model hide better, fit in the spaces that they would fit in, and also limit the number of models that can get into base to base.

Also most do use the square bases because thats what the models come with but also cause they usually use stuff from there armies.
Thats what i plan to do with my skaven..is to try to use some of the heros in both my fantasy army as well as the mordheim warband. In my case that might only be my leader and my sorcerer, and maybe the rat ogre should i field one and giant rats. Most of the rest will probably be just for mordheim, as it might be harder to field gutter runners with halberds or shields, and clan rats with slings and giant metal claws.
Lunar Drakes(marines): 2/4/0
Total Points Painted: about 1500 of 6500

Tau, Elsy'eir sept: 0/0/0
Total Points Painted: 350 of 1500

Clan Sarz-Skaven: 0/0/0
Total Points Painted: 0 of 3k
Image Image

Da MaCHiNE
Scout

Building Sizes ETC ?

Post by Da MaCHiNE » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:38 pm

So on my way to work tonight I plan on picking up some board to start making a Building or 2 - Yeah,... its a tough job but somebody has to do it. LOL

My ? is how many floors is the typical ruined Building for this game,.. I was impressed by what I say in the link at the beginning of this thread and will try my best to duplicate something of that nature. Any thoughts?
Da MaCHiNE - "HaS SPoKeN"

Abaddon
Site Admin

Post by Abaddon » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:12 pm

I would say a minimum of two floors is a must. Three is a good number i would think. More than that might get unwieldy unless you have something special in mind. I definitely plan on making some little planks and walkways to go in between buildings. I am getting very excited about this project myself :-)
Eldar 15-3-0
Space Orks 8-3-2
Orcs 5-3-1
Dark Elves 4-2

Morbidangel
Chapter Master

Post by Morbidangel » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:26 pm

hmm...i just thought of a perfect skaven terrain piece..kinda of an objective for my rats too. A Bell Tower lol.

Man i am so anxious to start working on my warband. I already wrote out a list based on the old rule book, to give me a rough idea of how many rats i need. Now to get my hands on some rats to start working on conversions and getting my warband together.

Image Image

Da MaCHiNE
Scout

Post by Da MaCHiNE » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:23 pm

LOL now everyone sing with me,... ready -"This inner geek of mine, Im gonna lettem shine",... Ok Ya'll Lets get our Geeks on !!! :D

Abaddon
Site Admin

Post by Abaddon » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:38 pm

So here is the first modular board section. I threw some buildings on it just for the picture. I bought the plywood and foam at Lowes and cut out the 2X2 piece from the plywood. I couldn't fit the 4X8 foot insulation foam into my car so I had to buy these 4 by 1 foot pieces and cut them to glue on top of the plywood. After the glue drys I will cut off the excess foam so that it fits neatly into the 2X2 area. i also had to use some spackel to clean up the seam between the two pieces of foam I used. I will let it dry overnight and then paint it with some black housepaint I bought at Lowes.
I am still waiting on my Hirstarts cobblestone floor molds for the street but that should be in Monday. I plan on doing the streets first, then planning out the buildings. I think I may use my warhammer manor house to create a merchants house with a courtyard, and make a couple of holes in the walls for models to go through. Also I am thinking of tearing a big chunk from the roof and putting in the attic floor with balsa wood. So anyway, just though I would give you guys an update.

Eldar 15-3-0
Space Orks 8-3-2
Orcs 5-3-1
Dark Elves 4-2

Morbidangel
Chapter Master

Post by Morbidangel » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:46 pm

nice start man. can't wait to actually get some games of mordheim in. Hopefully i wont have the bad luck my last mordheim campaign had. Back then i used a dwarf warband...and well my slayer died every game(so i had to constantly hire a new slayer), and my leader got taken out of action each game and lived but got so wounded. In the end it sucked he was a ws5, str4, toughness2, fear causing crappy dward. Toughness 2...he died alot and was as tough as a goblin but he was ugly due to his wounds and scared people.

Anyways..so are most of the games gonna be played at your house or at the store? since you said you combined the two four foot sections, i would assume the games are meant to be played at your house, but the housing will be seperate incase we play at the store?

Image Image

Morbidangel
Chapter Master

Post by Morbidangel » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:27 pm

OK..so when we gonna start this? I am itching to get playing(gotta get warband painted and built first of course), but excited to know when we plan to start playing games. It would also seem to help me stay focused on getting my warband finished..as lately i seem to do better at pressure painting or painting for a purpose, then just casually painting. Motivation is key right.

Image Image

Abaddon
Site Admin

Post by Abaddon » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:36 pm

How does Friday September 4th look for the campaign kickoff?

My place 7 o'clock. I'll have snacks and plan on making burgers. I'll ask Jon about borrowing some terrain and plan on having two 4X4 boards setup. Also I plan on having some other games available ready to go. Oh, and feel free to bring your favorite alcoholic beverage! And I plan on making it a late night of gaming! If this date doesn't work for people I'll move it to a more convenient date. The more the merrier!!
Eldar 15-3-0
Space Orks 8-3-2
Orcs 5-3-1
Dark Elves 4-2

Morbidangel
Chapter Master

Post by Morbidangel » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:46 pm

Sounds good..but alas i can't make it lol. Reason being...from sep3 thru 13 i am technically a single parent of 4 as my wife and mother in law will be off visiting the holy land for 10 days.
I also wont have my warband ready by then lol. Anytime after the middle of the month works better for me lol.
But don't let me stop you guys from all the fun and mayhem. Just means you guys might have higher rating warbands for me to kill thus i get to be like the underdog.

Image Image

Rheibaen
Tactical Marine

Post by Rheibaen » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:27 pm

I can't make the 4th either, but only because I'm heading back down to Florida to see my folks over Labor Day. It would probably be difficult to start Mordheim at 7, then catch a plane at 8.
"We are born for a darker purpose than that of mere existence. There will come a time when the stygian night never ends, where dead stars will spread before us like islands that slumber on the ocean, and when the beings that hid like shadows will feed on us forever." ~Adept Corteswain at Omniastery of Selethoth, shortly before his disappearance.

Da MaCHiNE
Scout

Post by Da MaCHiNE » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:29 pm

Unfortunately for the time being I work nights from 10PM - 6AM,... If my car wasn't in the shop currently dealing with Emission issues I'd say 100% I'd be there and just have to leave a lil early to make it back into ATL for work,... I am available for weekends only currently until my car is resurrected - That being said I will continue to work on making some buildings / terrain for use both at my place and also for the Mordheim Goodness. Will post a couple pix soon.

Be careful folks,... due to the Carnival I can field Undead now as well.
Mu HAhahahahHAHAHAhahahahaha,... "Cough, cough - gasp" :lol:

R

greenlantern1
Assault Marine

Post by greenlantern1 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:52 pm

Friday Sept. 4 is iffy. . .that is the start of Labor Day weekend. Lots of stuff going on that weekend!
"Quis custodies ipsos custodes"
Decimus Junius Juvenalis ca. 100 AD

"Though my guards may sleep and my
ships may lay at anchor. Our foes know full
well that the big guns never tire."

Huron Blackheart, The Tyrant of Badab
901.M41