40K Tournament - September 20th

Warhammer Fantasy Battles, Warhammer 40,000, Necromunda, Mordheim, Battlefleet Gothic, Epic Armageddon, Inquisitor and more!
NegativeK
Chapter Master

40K Tournament - September 20th

Post by NegativeK » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:52 pm

Listen here, ye scurvy dogs!

Tournament on Septembree 20th.
$10 entry fee.
Store credit be given.
Starts at 10:00 in th' mornin'.
Turns be goin' be an 1 hr an' 45 min.
Yer mother be a hamster.
Get thar by 10AM an' be ready t' start at 10:15AM.
Be havin' yer Army list ready when ye get thar.
1250 Points

(In case ye be wonderin', Septembree 19th be International Talk Like a Shipmate Tide.)
Sun Tzu said: "Now the general who wins a battle makes many calculations in his temple ere the battle is fought. The general who loses a battle makes but few calculations beforehand."

Miniature Overload: http://minioverload.blogspot.com/ (Last updated 2009/9/11)

greenlantern1
Assault Marine

Post by greenlantern1 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:04 pm

I hope I can make it. September is a brutal month for me. I will try and make it if at all possible!
"Quis custodies ipsos custodes"
Decimus Junius Juvenalis ca. 100 AD

"Though my guards may sleep and my
ships may lay at anchor. Our foes know full
well that the big guns never tire."

Huron Blackheart, The Tyrant of Badab
901.M41

Morbidangel
Chapter Master

Post by Morbidangel » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:29 pm

yeah i wont be able to make this tourney. Its too soon for me to skip another sunday of church according to my wife...she gets peeved about it..so once every other month is good, maybe 3 months since i skipped two sundays this month(3 if you count that i was sick in between them).

Maybe in october/november if the september one doesn't pan out.
Lunar Drakes(marines): 2/4/0
Total Points Painted: about 1500 of 6500

Tau, Elsy'eir sept: 0/0/0
Total Points Painted: 350 of 1500

Clan Sarz-Skaven: 0/0/0
Total Points Painted: 0 of 3k
Image Image

Rheibaen
Tactical Marine

Post by Rheibaen » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:00 am

Sorry Everett, but Monty Python doesn't work with a pirate accent.

Here's hoping I'll have my new models assembled and painted by the 20th! I wouldn't dare use the same list twice after all :P
"We are born for a darker purpose than that of mere existence. There will come a time when the stygian night never ends, where dead stars will spread before us like islands that slumber on the ocean, and when the beings that hid like shadows will feed on us forever." ~Adept Corteswain at Omniastery of Selethoth, shortly before his disappearance.

HurricaneGirl
Veteran

Post by HurricaneGirl » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:45 am

of course there will be bugs. :)

Yuri
Chapter Master

Post by Yuri » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:48 pm

Wow, you actually managed to schedule this on my off weekend. I'll be there to give away my $10.
"Women are like Voltron; the more you can hook up the better."
"Since when is stealing a rhinoceros considered evil?"

Da MaCHiNE
Scout

Post by Da MaCHiNE » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:51 pm

Pretty sure I can make this one,... Woot - another chance to get 3 games in on the same day :wink:
Da MaCHiNE - "HaS SPoKeN"

RocketWulf
Scout

Post by RocketWulf » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:34 pm

That's probably enough time for me to finish my numerous conversions. I've decided what to do with those Khornate bits--I'm building my own Ragnar Blackmane (I don't really like GW's Model). And thanks to my new Terminator conversions, I can run him with a wolf guard of lightning claw terminators. Overkill, but satisfying.
A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

Space Wolves don't die, they just get meaner and carry bigger guns

BattleHost of Wolf Lord Sigurd the Red;
6 wins 2 losses

Dannel
Assault Marine

Post by Dannel » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:48 pm

Can I use Lysander this time?
"I know no fear."

Rheibaen
Tactical Marine

Post by Rheibaen » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Can I use the Deceiver? Maybe with a couple of monoliths? :P
"We are born for a darker purpose than that of mere existence. There will come a time when the stygian night never ends, where dead stars will spread before us like islands that slumber on the ocean, and when the beings that hid like shadows will feed on us forever." ~Adept Corteswain at Omniastery of Selethoth, shortly before his disappearance.

HurricaneGirl
Veteran

Post by HurricaneGirl » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:48 pm

Why do I suddenly have the desire to go out and buy Obliterators and bring Lash Whips?

Abaddon
Site Admin

Post by Abaddon » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:29 am

Don't get crazy here people. Thats enough time for me to put together either Nob Bikers or a Seer Council. If yall bringing the cheese than I'm bringing the Limburger :-)

Just kidding I could never be that bad ;-)
Eldar 15-3-0
Space Orks 8-3-2
Orcs 5-3-1
Dark Elves 4-2

Rheibaen
Tactical Marine

Post by Rheibaen » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:42 am

Hah, well personally I don't think we should have any restrictions on characters or lists...I want everyone to bring their best game, and I certainly don't want to win my tiebreaker game against Dannel because he was told that he couldn't bring something.

This may sound a little silly coming from the Necron player, but...I don't believe that there is such a thing as a cheesy list. People love to complain about the Deceiver and the Monolith, but in reality they're very easy units to counter. Lysander's tough, but very hard to get across the board effectively unless you spend TONS of points on him, and the "cheesy" version of Nob Bikerz is so expensive that the unit by itself is essentially the entire army at 1250.

I know there's some desire to create thematic lists, which is perfectly fine, but that's what I love about the 40k universe: it's nigh on impossible to create a list that ISN'T thematic. It's just too huge of a place for there to never be a situation where X "unfluffy" unit combo shows up.

Sorry that this turned into a bit of a rant, but put simply, I don't want to win games because people feel like they had their hands tied behind their backs. I will continue to bring the toughest lists I can, maybe even create some backstory for them at some point, and hope that everyone else will do the same. This is a tournament after all, where you can win money :wink:

HurricaneGirl
Veteran

Post by HurricaneGirl » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:59 am

Unless the T.O. says otherwise, there are no restrictions any more on special characters. This is a tourney and you are playing to win.

However, the counter for that is the sportsmanship score. Your opponent will dock you points if you pull out all the stops. Sportsmanship is your most important score other than Battle Points.

Achieving the balance between a winning force and a fair and fun-to-play against force is the key here.

Me, I'm all about the fun. :)

Morbidangel
Chapter Master

Post by Morbidangel » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:42 am

Me, I'm all about the fun.
lol and that comes from the all rending genesteelers list lol

Yeah, tournaments are about winning, but its not about using the easiest and most devestating units. Comp score went to the way of the dodos, however sportsmanship counts and if you play the win all beat all list more than likely you will get low low sportsman ship scores and be tossed out of the overall champ. That said however, bring an army that isn't the standard best army list and winning all your games is more of a challenge and earns you not only the points for winning but points for sportsman ship. Thats why i hate the lists you see back to back to back, because what happens is people find a hard to beat unit combo and they stick to it with no thoughts of orginality, but only thoughts of winning.

And yes...as you said a monolith and a deciever can be beat..but not very easily with most lists at 1250. Reason why is cause you often need more points than that to beat them. The monolith not so much, just lots of high str lascannons/rail guns to obliterate it. But the deciever on the other hand, you often need more points wasted on taking him out than the guy costs to field. Since hand to hand is unreliable, it means you gotta waste all your shooting just to remove the guy. Is it cheesy, yes, because the deciever doesn't really have any major flaw unlike some other characters you mentioned. Nobs as you said eat up so many points. Lysander is nasty but not deciever nasty because he is slow moving.

Now if i could field a primarch, then it would be almost an even match...why cause it would be more like pitting a god versus a god, not a powerful combo versus a god. Hell greater demons often don't even stand toe to toe with a deciever. As for the lash prince and obliterators...i have seen it, felt it, and tried it myself. It works as a combo but its not broken. Oblits can be easily gun downed by simple lasguns..if you fire enough of them to make them roll lots of dice. The lash prince is just annoying too, not broken. However it typically works to ones advantage cause often they can keep both units in cover and as you get close enough it makes you move right into position to get wiped of the board. Again not broken, however i will say the current chaos marine list badly needs a rewrite because the developers obviosly didn't even think to make the chaos lord even remotely worth taking over a demon prince which then makes it go completely against the overall fluff of the codex. So now all these traitor marines are lead by demon princes and all seem to have succumbed to the obliterator virus. Yeah thats reall fluffy right there.
Lunar Drakes(marines): 2/4/0
Total Points Painted: about 1500 of 6500

Tau, Elsy'eir sept: 0/0/0
Total Points Painted: 350 of 1500

Clan Sarz-Skaven: 0/0/0
Total Points Painted: 0 of 3k
Image Image