Space Wolf Rumors

Warhammer Fantasy Battles, Warhammer 40,000, Necromunda, Mordheim, Battlefleet Gothic, Epic Armageddon, Inquisitor and more!
NegativeK
Chapter Master

Space Wolf Rumors

Post by NegativeK » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:16 pm

The Wolf Time approaches us (or something cheesy like that)! Grabbed from http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2009/08/ ... atest.html
Lots of Space Wolves stuff kicking around the net these last few days. Lets get right to these:

Slashgod

I asked him about Bj?rn and the rumour about his AV14. He responded that he couldn?t tell,but Bj?rn would be the most survivable Cybot in Game.
We also talked in general about Space Wolves and he said that Space Wolves would have extrem stats and some nice special rules but would pay with a lot of points. "You will be always outnumbered".
Logan Grimnar isn?t a fighting character,he is more like Creed, he gives you some special abilities like standing near a Long Fangs and saying you become tank hunter. He will also give even imperial guard special rules,because he is an amazing leader.
If you want a close combat monster you should choose Ragnar,he is young and berserker like.
All of the Special characters will be priced high over Gazhgul Thraka.

I also asked him about Wulfen and 13. company.
I was a little bit shocked when he said that Wulfen won?t come back as a unit. He wanted them more mysterious. You can still fill in some wulfen,but not as a unit costing 18 Points.

And last,i asked him about the Sagas. He confirmed that Sagas will give the complete army boni,not just a unit.

That?s all what i can remember, I hope GD uk will reveal more.

Zarahemna:

My brothers Njal the storm caller has granted me this vision so that you too may know the terrible might of the Space Wolves and howl as their heavy tread draws closer!

I know not of the new range of miniature representations of the sons of Russ, but I have seen the awesomeness of their almighty codex. Gather round now and listen!

Characters:

Njal Stormcaller:

Njal is back in all of his glory. The cyber raven joins him and the most easy comparison is with Tigurius, except that he wears terminator armour and carries mighty runes which blaze and improve his invulnerable save to a 4+. Truly unstoppable he remains.

A storm now covers Njal and this affects enemy shooting and combat prowess (-1 to both within 18" or something like that) and at higher levels can destroy foes and cast them around the table with it's mighty winds. Njal is the master of all six Space Wolf Psychic powers and yes, he is really expensive. Think 250+ points.

Bjorn the Fell Handed. Bjorn is incredibly strong, AV13 to the front and of course venerable. Put those two factors together and he is an almighty warrior. He has four attacks basic and is strength seven. He is also very expensive.

There is also a Telion type upgrade for the Space Wolf equivalent to scouts. This hero, more than three centuries old is the equivalent of a captain and yet with his unruly manners cannot be accepted among the battle brothers, not least because he stole one of the Chapter's thunderhawks and then crashed it during his flight. He upgrades his squad, I cannot remember how.

Battle Brothers:

All Space Wolves have counter attack and acute senses.

Wolf Guard are deceptive, they start off at a little over thirty points but they get very expensive very quickly. A wolf guard with Thunder hammer and Storm Shield weighs in at just under seventy!

There is a character with a special storm shield who can get an extra attack which represents him slapping his opponent with the shield when he charges. He also has furious charge and a thunder hammer that he can throw in a shooting attack. yes, a thrown thunder hammer. When it hits the foe there is an explosion and it reappears with a flash in his hands... Not bad eh?

Blood Claws now come in three flavours, bikers, jump packers and infantry. They remain slightly less able than regualr marines in shooting and close combat but are still really deadly...

Wulfen are gone as a unit.

There is a character who rides a Fenrisian wolf in to battle. It's a bit He-Man esque, but in a good way.

Long Fangs, Heavy Bolters for only a handful of points, you know about the same as a meltagun for regular marines... Also you can carry five heavy weapons... It's brilliant.

How much is a regular Space Wolf? xx points? Oh and you get a special weapon for free. Oh, and if you take ten you get a second special weapon for free... Ten men, and two special weapons for 150 points? Sounds good eh?

Kit? Oh yeah, every space wolf carries a chainsword, bolt pistol and boltgun. Extra attacks, I think so. You can kiss good bye to true grit though.

Oh and one last thing. Dark Angels are now not alone in being able to field Terminator only armies! SW's can field all terminator armies as one of their characters makes it possible to field T's as troops choices!
So, I've got to say.. That's pretty kick ass. CC+BP+boltgun for every Space Wolf? Sexy. Terminators as troop choices? Tasty (watch out for the Dark Angels players, though.) It seems like they're going to be a combination of old Space Wolves and 13th Company, which I'm totally down for.

Two months is too far away.

Update: More! http://space-wolves-grey.blogspot.com/2 ... ation.html
Last edited by NegativeK on Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sun Tzu said: "Now the general who wins a battle makes many calculations in his temple ere the battle is fought. The general who loses a battle makes but few calculations beforehand."

Miniature Overload: http://minioverload.blogspot.com/ (Last updated 2009/9/11)

Yuri
Chapter Master

Post by Yuri » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:25 pm

I'll go ahead and say it;

"Why even play Dark Angels anymore?! WTF?!"

Okay, now that is out of the way, this sounds pretty cool. I like the "Thor" character who can throw his Thunder Hammer. Awesome. Plus, extra attack with his Storm Shield. I fully expect the character that allows you field all Termies to be double the cost of Belial and way more badass.

150 points for 10 man squad and 2 special weapons? What reason is there ever to field Dark Angels with regular troops? I'm starting to guess that they never intended DA players to field normal troops. They probably want players to throw down Belial and Sammael in every battle and just put down Termies and Bikes, which do go well together with the teleport homers on the bikes.

Six psychic powers!? Wow.

Wolf Guard with Thunder hammer/Storm Shield and Termie armor at 70 points per?! Better be BS and WS 5, Ld 10, 3 attacks base, something along those lines.
"Women are like Voltron; the more you can hook up the better."
"Since when is stealing a rhinoceros considered evil?"

Morbidangel
Chapter Master

Post by Morbidangel » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:28 pm

nice find. Gives me some inspiration, can't wait to see what the book really holds true. I just hope they stay true to there roots so i can finally get back to fielding a druidic feeling chapter of marines(even tho wolves were more shamanistic, its the closest darn thing).
Lunar Drakes(marines): 2/4/0
Total Points Painted: about 1500 of 6500

Tau, Elsy'eir sept: 0/0/0
Total Points Painted: 350 of 1500

Clan Sarz-Skaven: 0/0/0
Total Points Painted: 0 of 3k
Image Image

HurricaneGirl
Veteran

Post by HurricaneGirl » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:49 am

Very cool stuff. Really glad to hear that Njal gets 6 psy powers. Was always sad he only got one. Now that one sounds like it's always on. Very nifty!!

Really interested in reading that codex when it comes out. Glad to see true grit is gone too. They needed that.

I was really hoping to see Bjorn get T8 or T9 (like a wraithlord) but AV13 + venerable is still pretty interesting.

Sounds like fun! :)

Dannel
Assault Marine

Post by Dannel » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:20 am

150pt 10 man squad is obviously incorrect, normal marines are 170 for basic 10man. I do expect these guys to be expensive as they remove alot of the things that are weak about vanilla marines. If all of these rumors are true I can see people abandoning playing vanilla marines unless the point costs are sky high. I'm not going to over react, at least until I see a codex.
"I know no fear."

Morbidangel
Chapter Master

Post by Morbidangel » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:48 am

well actually that 150 for 10 marines is about right. They don't have sergeants, they get wolf guard which are addons. So that 150 would be for just 10 marines without a wolfguard. If you add a wolfguard to the unit, they then can't be put in a rhino at all. So you either go with 9 marines with 1 special weapon and a wolfguard in a rhino, or 10 marines, no wolfguard, but 2 special weapons and a rhino.
So it sounds about right since they also wouldn't have that extra +1 leadership from having the wolfguard so they would be a ld8 unit.
And as stated when you add a wolf guard to the unit, your looking at a 40-70 point upgrade. Also the special weapon that is free will probably be flamers like for marines, with points added for melta and plasma. So if you take a 10 man unit of grey hunters with 2 plasma guns and add in a wolfguard with a power weapon to the unit, you could probably be looking at 210+ for the unit. which is at the same amount as vanilla marines but with an extra model. On top of that they probably wont combat squad up because thats a vanilla marine trait, and with 11 models no transport option.

Image Image

kabniel
Assault Marine

Post by kabniel » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:02 am

Well... Hell.
And I sold a fair amount of my SW stuff not that long ago. I think the SW spent so much time being ignored and shafted to some extent, and now they are getting their due.

I agree with the "why play DA now" type of argument. Deathwing and Ravenwing are the only reasons to play DA currently. Even Ravenwing could be replaced by something like Whitescars. Now it seems like Deathwing are getting relpaced by SW. Well... at least I didn't pick a chapter specific color. I can field my army of termies as SW if it turns out to be a better deal.

Still miffed about it though.

NegativeK
Chapter Master

Post by NegativeK » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:42 am

I was going to enter the DA vs. SW discussion, but I left my flame-proof asbestos underwear at home. I'm just pumped about the Space Puppies coming back in all of their original glory. ;)

Though, I do find the speculation on unconfirmed rumors funny.
Sun Tzu said: "Now the general who wins a battle makes many calculations in his temple ere the battle is fought. The general who loses a battle makes but few calculations beforehand."

Miniature Overload: http://minioverload.blogspot.com/ (Last updated 2009/9/11)

RocketWulf
Scout

Post by RocketWulf » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:37 pm

It seemed to me that it would make sense to handle the 13th company/Wulfen the same way regular marines handle the lost and the damned; otherwise GW is really shafting anyone who bothered to buy the models they released for the eye of terror campaign.
A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

Space Wolves don't die, they just get meaner and carry bigger guns

BattleHost of Wolf Lord Sigurd the Red;
6 wins 2 losses

greenlantern1
Assault Marine

Post by greenlantern1 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:14 pm

RocketWulf wrote: otherwise GW is really shafting anyone who bothered to buy the models they released for the eye of terror campaign.
GW shaft anyone? They've never put out miniatures and then quit supporting those same minis with rules before. . .Oh wait. . .I forgot about the Fantasy Chaos dwarves, 40K Squats, Imperial guard land speeders and dreadnaughts, and tarantulas, and rapiers (not to mention all the rhinos that I had for IG that I had to repaint into Space Marine colors), Space marine mole mortars, rapiers, and tarantulas, Eldar with other weapons besides shuriken catapults (las cannons, autoguns, bolters.). . .and my favorites ROBOTS. . .

Bitter you say. . .not me! I love GW. . .without their constant rule changes, updates, chapter approved and the like. . .where else would I have spent several thousand of my dollars. . .probably strip clubs and bars along the way:)

This rant brought to you by Games Workshop makers of fine metal and plastic miniatures and over three thousand rule sets.

This is all in fun guys and gals no hate mail please, ha ha!
"Quis custodies ipsos custodes"
Decimus Junius Juvenalis ca. 100 AD

"Though my guards may sleep and my
ships may lay at anchor. Our foes know full
well that the big guns never tire."

Huron Blackheart, The Tyrant of Badab
901.M41

HurricaneGirl
Veteran

Post by HurricaneGirl » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:35 pm

...the original assassin, Genestealer Magus, Hybrids :cry: , ZOATS, Squats (cause they're worth mentioning twice), Ork Rokkers, Eldar Ghost Warriors, non-what's-his-name Vehicle pilots, conversion beamers, neuro-disruptors, hand flamers, noise marine devastator squads (hey look, recent one!), Blood bowl referees, Imperial Noble for Warhammer Quest?!? Man O War!? GorkaMorka (good riddance, IMO).

They've killed a few things that people liked because it's a business, and they gotta make money. Man o war sold like hot cakes at first. Then everyone got a few fleets and they were done. No new material means no incoming dollars so it went away. They even milked Deathhammer (Warhammer Quest) for as long as possible. They made new characters for a while, some of which were really over the top. Some of those things were silly, while some were over the top, and some just didn't fit fluff.

In the end if they don't revise/change the game, they don't make money and if they don't make money, then they won't support it. Sometimes things get left behind. Sometimes they come back later, unless it's a robot or a squat.

I'm still here too, though I did take a hiatus between 2nd and 3.5 edition, mostly due to non-GW issues. I feel that GW has a good thing going, and I also feel that 5th ed is the best edition so far. That's saying a LOT since I loved 2nd edition. To me 5th has everything 2nd had but better, faster and stronger. Well maybe not stronger. Lascannons only do 1 wound in 5th. But they put ramming and shooting buildings back into the game and I love it. I don't know what on earth they could do in a 6th to make it better.

/soapbox

You really just wanted my
Children because of the Zoat, right Greenlantern?

greenlantern1
Assault Marine

Post by greenlantern1 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:20 pm

HurricaneGirl wrote:.To me 5th has everything 2nd had but better, faster and stronger. Well maybe not stronger. Lascannons only do 1 wound in 5th. But they put ramming and shooting buildings back into the game and I love it. I don't know what on earth they could do in a 6th to make it better.

You really just wanted my
Children because of the Zoat, right Greenlantern?

I agree completely. . .5th is the best one since the original 40k. . .and some things needed to go away! Oh and yes I do envy the Kids because of the Zoat. . . and the the fact that the Emporer's kids legion is my favorite of the original chaos forces (I'm just a hedonist at heart I guess). . .by the way. . .love the man -o- war reference. Have not seen that one in a decade.

Cheers

:D
"Quis custodies ipsos custodes"
Decimus Junius Juvenalis ca. 100 AD

"Though my guards may sleep and my
ships may lay at anchor. Our foes know full
well that the big guns never tire."

Huron Blackheart, The Tyrant of Badab
901.M41

Morbidangel
Chapter Master

Post by Morbidangel » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:07 pm

hehe you forgot about the Noisemarine predator too with blastmaster turret and sonic blasters sponsons.

Image Image

HurricaneGirl
Veteran

Post by HurricaneGirl » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:16 pm

lol not even first or second edition!! let us old folks just bask in our nostalgia... :D

"when i started four aught and the kay, we didn't have side sponsons, we just had dirt from all them uphill walks. aaaaaaaaaaand we liked it..."

:twisted:

Abaddon
Site Admin

Post by Abaddon » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:48 pm

Don't forget Firmir, dark elf swordmen, and orc crossbowmen!
Eldar 15-3-0
Space Orks 8-3-2
Orcs 5-3-1
Dark Elves 4-2