Fantasy Hero campaign

CUnknown
Scout

Fantasy Hero campaign

Post by CUnknown » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:19 pm

Hi,

I am looking to start up a Fantasy Hero campaign, and all are welcome! :)

I have my own D&D/Hero blend which hopefully suits those who enjoy one or both games. I can explain more about the campaign world if you are interested.

Chris
Lab tech, UGA

Yunuswesley
n00b

Post by Yunuswesley » Sun May 04, 2008 9:55 am

Hi Chris,
How does this D&D/Hero blend work? Levels & points? Do you use d20 or 3d6? Etc.

I have Sidekick but am not a Hero player, but as a GURPS player most concepts translate more easily than in points vs levels comparisons.

Peace,
Yunus

CUnknown
Scout

Post by CUnknown » Sun May 04, 2008 12:35 pm

Oh, certainly we would roll 3d6, not d20. Everything is Hero mechanics, not D&D mechanics. There are classes and levels -- I have converted those. I tried to get the "feel" of the game the same as D&D, but the mechanics and level structure are completely different.

In my blend, you could certainly have your 3rd level Fighter, let's say. But, you wouldn't gain "feats" for such and such number of levels... you wouldn't gain "hit points" per level, or anything. Everything costs points, just like in Hero, and those points let you buy certain things, depending on your "level." Which is also determined by points.

Let's continue to use the Fighter class as an example. That class is determined by KS: Combat, your knowledge of Combat. If you put 3 points in it, you're a 1st level fighter automatically, congradulations. But that doesn't give you anything by itself, it only allows you to spend points on combat skills in certain ways. If you put 5 points in your KS: Combat, you are 2nd level. 7 points, you are 3rd level, and so on.

So, a lower level character might actually be more powerful than a higher level one, just because he has wasted less points in this mostly useless knowledge skill. Generally though, a higher level character will have access to more powerful abilities ("feats") and will turn out better.

Does this answer your question or just make things confusing? To sum up, the Hero/D&D blend is Hero through-and-through, it just heavily borrows from D&D for feel and inspiration.

Yunuswesley
n00b

Post by Yunuswesley » Sun May 04, 2008 5:02 pm

Okay, so the D&D levels and classes are just frames to let D&D players know what all these points and skills mean in terms of character ability and power?

In other words, a given class & level indicate a degree of competence corresponding to that level in D&D terms, but represented in the game entirely by Hero mechanics.

What else of D&D is in it? D&D magic built according to Hero rules?

I don't know my summer teaching schedule yet, but I'm tentatively interested.

CUnknown
Scout

Post by CUnknown » Mon May 05, 2008 3:10 am

Tentatively interested... awesome!!! I am so in Hero withdrawal, it is not even funny.
In other words, a given class & level indicate a degree of competence corresponding to that level in D&D terms, but represented in the game entirely by Hero mechanics.
Well, sort of. You can look at it that way. It certainly is represented entirely by Hero mechanics. But, the level structure is different.. there aren't as many levels in my system as there are in D&D. Take mages, for example. There are only 5 levels of the Mage class in my system, so it's not an even correlation. 1st level mages are about the same.. but a 3rd level mage in my system is really more like a 5-6th level mage in D&D. A 4th level mage could be anywhere from 7th to maybe 12th level or so in D&D. It really depends on how many points in spells you bought.

A 1st level mage in my system has access to 1st level spells. A 2nd level mage has access to 2nd level spells, 3rd 3rd. At 4th level, you have to specialize as a mage -- choose Abjuration, Conjuration, etc. And then you have access to all those spells. At 5th level, that means you have chosen another specialization, so you could cast both Abjuration and Conjuration at that point. You can take as many specializations as you want at 5th level.
What else of D&D is in it? D&D magic built according to Hero rules?
Yes, I have translated all the spells (although there are some differences due to the different mechanics -- 'Sleep', for example, was troublesome and now it's really more of a stun spell than something that makes you snooze off for hours). I have also translated many of the monsters and magic items. Honestly, if a D&D player wasn't paying close attention to the dice we were rolling or the mechanics, you might think you were playing D&D.

The campaign I would like to run is one I have run previously.. so I would have plenty of material for it. It starts off in a low-tech (tribal) setting. However, that might depend on how many players we were able to find. I think I could maybe get two other players... but they have played that scenario before. So, we need players.

Ideally, I'd like to find several other gamers I've never played with before to start that campaign from scratch. I think it was a good story and it was never played out completely.

CUnknown
Scout

Post by CUnknown » Wed May 14, 2008 12:03 pm

I've been told I should provide some detail about the campaign world. Here goes, a quick blurb:

After years of peace, the old enemies of the Telugu tribe are at it again. The Yakono tribe has been sending raiding parties, and the Berzerkers from the mountains have been seen in increasing numbers. These evil omens can only mean that the Berzerker Wars are coming once again.

And then a longer description of some of the cultures in the world:

Tribes

Telugu - a small forest-dwelling tribe of only one village. They are hunter/gatherers who worship the sun god Yotha. Druidic magic is also present. There are roughly 500 or so Telugu, with maybe 150 of these being warriors. The campaign will start in the Telugu village, so I think that about half of the party should be Telugu.

Yakono - a slightly larger tribe who live in the foothills of the mountains to the northwest of the Telugu. Warlike and vigilant, their primary function has been to protect the other tribes from the Berzerkers who live back in the mountains, yet some years ago tensions between them and the Telugu turned into war. There is a cease fire now, but the two tribes are still not friendly. The Yakono have mastered the art of copper-working, and so they have a slight technological edge over the more primative Telugu. Their magic focuses around the war god "The Nameless One" and also the powers inherent in crystals.

Ianya - a larger, plains-dwelling tribe of several villages. They are mostly agricultural, although they also hunt the buffalo who roam their plains. They are very closely related to the Telugu, and even worship the same god, Yotha.

Harc-tura - another large tribe, they live in the cold northern woods. They are somewhat nomadic, following their game animals. Their magic is relatively weak, as they have no strong religious beliefs or scholarship to speak of. Their culture is spartan and contemplative. They are known to spend lots of time sleeping and meditating. The have developed a martial arts style, partially borrowed from a closely related tribe the Sal'minca, which they have perfected. They are not a particularly martial society, however--their martial art for them is not a method of fighting so much as a method of acheiving enlightenment. As such they only have a very small number of warriors for a tribe of their size.

Sal'minca - the largest of the northern tribes (besides the Berzerkers), they are also the most warlike and least connected to the other tribes. They are primarily hunters (with some gathering) and raiders, they care little for the lives of those not in their tribe. They are closely related to the Harc-tura, but they see them as black sheep--as weaklings and fools. They will respect the bonds of blood between them and try to protect them in times of trouble, if they are not otherwise engaged militarily. The Sal'minca excel in the construction of stone buildings, in addition to their military prowess. Their old Kings are buried in ancient Ziggurats and tombs filled with (by all accounts) much riches. Currently, the Sal'minca are engaged in a war with the Telronian Empire, a war that has been going on (with a greater or lesser intensity) for over fifty years.

The Shattered Shield - An orc tribe known for honor, discipline, and steadfastness (characteristics not normally associated with orcs). Perhaps it's better to say they are not dis-honorable and completely chaotic like most orcs. They have good relations with the Yakono, whom they respect very much. They both worship the same god, The Nameless One, and some cross-species relationships have even been formed. The half-orc offspring from these relationships are pretty much accepted in both societies, strangely enough. Other orc tribes and other human tribes are replused by this idea, though.

Redclaw Orcs - A more typical orc tribe who view the Shattered Shield's relations with humans to be abomination.

Berzerkers - Not much is known about this culture, as no non-Berzerkers are ever allowed near their homes deep in the mountains. It is said that beyond the mountains, there is a green land of plenty where the Berzerkers live amongst the ruins of a vast, ancient empire. All that is known for sure is that once, hundreds of years ago, all the Berzerkers joined together to make a terrifying hoard that nearly eliminated all other tribes in this part of the world.

Sivvonya - the Elves live in the southern forest, and are generally typical Tolkeinesque elves. They are fond of song, wine, and merriment, and they have excellent magical abilities. They are the only tribe able to make weapons and armor of steel, although they don't share this craftsmanship with...um...anyone. They almost never leave their forest, and invite in only a very few humans. This is not to say they don't care about the other tribes, although it may seem so.

Nations

Mesal - Once a tribe like the Telugu (although much more numerous), the Mesalians have settled down and formed a true nation after the last Berzerker War. Their base of operations from that war, in fact, became their capital and it is today a decently-sized city (New Mesalia). Their culture stresses cooperation and unity which were keys to their survival during the last war. However, they have fallen on hard times in the past couple hundred years--New Mesalia was sacked by a tribe from the southern continent Zapoletia, and much of the city was destroyed. Another nation, called Utopia, came to their rescue and helped them rebuild. Utopia still has a strong military and political presense in Mesal. Some would say too strong.

Utopia - A secretive people, the Utopians generally do not allow outsiders to visit their crescent-shaped island off the coast of Mesal. They have a fantastic navy of warships which are made essentially unbeatable due to the Utopian's knowledge of black powder and cannon-making. Their army is also amazingly potent for its size (they are armed with muskets), but by nation standards, Utopia is very small. The Utopians are extremely organized. They have a sophisticated political system, but it's generally recognized that the Church calls most of the shots. They are fanatically monotheistic, and are morally opposed to a number of things: worshipping other gods (blashphemy), worshipping the one true God incorrectly (heresy) or not at all (atheism), magic (witchcraft), non-human races including elves (the Devil's children), and really the list just goes on and on.

The Empire of Telron - The largest and most powerful culture in the world, the Empire of Telron streches all across the continent from the far East. This is the westernmost tip of a huge empire which has been expanding for the past three hundred years. Their armies are numerous, their chariots swift and deadly, and they have been essentially unstoppable until they stepped foot in the Sal'mincan forest and started making trouble. Now, their cavalry and chariots are mostly useless and they are stuck fighting a large and vicious foe they barely knew existed before the war started. Their generals are currently looking for a way out without admitting defeat and without leaving their trade routes open to attack. Telron is the closest thing in this world to a standard D&D kingdom--there is a mage school, a few Churches with Clerics, and so on. Players who don't wish to have their character from a tribe should probably be from Telron.

CUnknown
Scout

Post by CUnknown » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:08 pm

Bump! Three players found, this game is in danger of actually starting. If anyone is looking for a fantasy game to play, give me a pm!

CUnknown
Scout

Post by CUnknown » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:18 am

Still looking for players. We could take perhaps 2 more. First session is Sunday, August 17th at 2 pm! It will be the best campaign ever. 8)

CUnknown
Scout

Post by CUnknown » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:31 am

Still playing, and we have room for at least one more. We play on Sundays at 2 pm.