Board game players in Athens?

Talk about new Board Games, Comics, Novels, Books, TV, movie, and video releases here.
Mister Joshua
n00b

Board game players in Athens?

Post by Mister Joshua » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:38 pm

Hey, folks... first post for me, glad to meet you.

At this last Dragon*Con I spent a good deal of time down in the game room playing various board games having a great time. Once I got back, I realized that I need to make some more time in my life for board games, and so I quested to find a venue here in Athens to play them more often.

Classic City Comics set me hip to this website and here I am.

So, where can a guy find a couple of cool folks who want to sit down and play some games? I like just about everything.

Anyone out there?
"It is a treadmill, squirrel-trap culture - drugged and frenzied with the hasheesh of industrial servitude and material luxury. It is wholly a material body-culture, and its symbol is the tiled bathroom and steam radiator rather than the Doric portico and the temple of philosophy." -H.P. Lovecraft

HurricaneGirl
Veteran

Post by HurricaneGirl » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:12 pm

Hiya. Right here!

NegativeK
Chapter Master

Post by NegativeK » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:30 pm

I don't know any details other than existence, but I remember hearing something about Tyche's having a weekly board game night.
Sun Tzu said: "Now the general who wins a battle makes many calculations in his temple ere the battle is fought. The general who loses a battle makes but few calculations beforehand."

Miniature Overload: http://minioverload.blogspot.com/ (Last updated 2009/9/11)

Mister Joshua
n00b

Post by Mister Joshua » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:27 am

The manager (owner?) of Classic City Comics said that he has open tables for anyone who wants to play anything in the store on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays during the day. From what I've heard, the Tyche get togethers are on Tuesdays after the store closes (although, I don't know for sure).

Well, anyway, no matter how this all works out, I have a decent selection of games to offer.

:arrow: My friends and I have had a lot of fun playing Power Grid recently, which if you're not familiar is an economic game where you play a power company trying to dominate the market. The game is pretty well balanced, but it takes some getting used to the way the turn order flows. Great game, but it requires some focus.

:arrow: I bought Settlers of Catan a ways back, but haven't gotten to actually play it with anyone yet; I always seem to be with either too many or to few players. Honestly, I'd love it if someone who has played that game could show me how to play. I plated a different version of the game a few years back, but the box I own has never been played.

:arrow: Also, if anyone is in the mood for it, I have Zombies!!! with a few game tweaks to make the game go a bit faster. I'd be open to play the original rules, too, but I think the tweaks make it a better game. I'm a big zombie fan, and this game really plays into that. I'll have to remember to get some poker chips; the little cardboard things they give out are tiny and obnoxious.

:arrow: Let's see... I'm always looking for people interested in Rumis. It's a geometric territory game where you use pieces to build ancient structures. Try not to get cut off and make sure that your pieces are on top when the game ends. It's a really slick game that doesn't take too long to play.

:arrow: Lastly there is a game called Meridian . "After years of negotiations, Queen Wu Wei has at last decided to let some of the powerful European commercial companies establish garrisoned trading posts in the rich cities of the Southern Archipelago, but only on condition that they submit to certain curious rules she has devised. In the game the players personify these companies and compete with each other in setting up garrisons (marked by towers of various heights) in the most desirable locations of the archipelago, while at the same time observing the wily Queen?s rules. Your aim is to take over islands by establishing more garrison in their cities than your opponents. But watch out! During play garrisons may be forcibly displaced!"

Any of this look interesting to you all? I'd like to be able to get a session of gaming going somewhere before Halloween. I'm open to just about all times and places. If anyone has times when they can't hook up due to classes or work, then that would seem to be the determining factor.

I'm so happy that people have already responded. Stay cool.
"It is a treadmill, squirrel-trap culture - drugged and frenzied with the hasheesh of industrial servitude and material luxury. It is wholly a material body-culture, and its symbol is the tiled bathroom and steam radiator rather than the Doric portico and the temple of philosophy." -H.P. Lovecraft

HurricaneGirl
Veteran

Post by HurricaneGirl » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:57 am

We play Settlers of Catan pretty frequently, and have 'Cities and Knights' and 'Seafarers' Expansions as well as the 5-6 player expansions for each. My roommate loves this game and we'd be happy to teach you.

A few other board games that I really like are;
Heroscape - A game where heroes and villains have been pulled through time and space to fight for one of 6 Generals. They call it a kid's game but wow, is it ever not. I'm not sure it really qualifies as a 'board' game, but since you have to build a board and they sell it in the board game section, it's here.

Blood Bowl - It's football, no it's Rugby, no it's a gang fight, wait, it's the best of all three set in the Warhammer universe! Your players can advance in skill and experience making for an awesome team (assuming they survive the next game.) Quite possibly the best and most balanced game ever put out by GW.

Space Hulk - Another classic from GW. A bug hunt in space. If you like Terminators or Genestealers this is your game.

Robo Rally - Race against other robots through a factory trying to touch flags while avoiding pits, stompers, conveyers, lasers and other robots. You can get upgrades for your robot to make them faster and with bigger weapons. Oh, and you can only move them with the program cards you've been dealt!

These are NOW games I own and Enjoy!

I didn't enjoy Zombies!! that much, but I really liked Zombie Plague - A homemade variant that plays the game on a smaller scale. We had a lot of fun with this one.

A Game of Thrones - If you've read the books you know how awesome this series is. The board game brings the politics and characters to life! I never could find it because they were OOP at the factory, but now it looks like they have made more. And I have one! Whee!

Cami
Last edited by HurricaneGirl on Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Abaddon
Site Admin

Post by Abaddon » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:08 am

I have a copy of Robo Rally in my closet that I have never even played, I'd love to try it out sometime. Also I love that zombies!!! game. Only played it once but it was alot of fun. I'd like to play either of them if you guys get a game together.
Eldar 15-3-0
Space Orks 8-3-2
Orcs 5-3-1
Dark Elves 4-2

Mister Joshua
n00b

Post by Mister Joshua » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:35 pm

Wow, this is cool, I actually feel like things are happening!

I had some problems with Zombies!!!, too. We made a few changes to make the game more playable, but I think ultimately you're probably right - it's got some flaws. I guess I cut it more slack because it is about zombies. I'm going to check out the Zombie Plague rules in case that ever comes up.

Robo Rally really sounds interesting, I'd like to get in on that at some point. I remember Space Hulk; I bought it but never found an opportunity to play.

Well, HurricaneGirl, NegativeK, Abaddon... It sounds like we've already got the makings of a good session brewing here.

So, let's move on to the heart of things: scheduling. I'm going to be out of town on the weekend of the 10th, but I can seriously make this work anywhere at any time. To try and make this easier, I made a graphic. Copy it and edit in when you are usually not available (or type it out it if you'd prefer). If we can find a window where 3 or more of us can all hook up, I say let's pick a place and do this.

(I can be available whenever... so I don't have any of the boxes marked)

CCCG
Terminator

Post by CCCG » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:21 pm

HurricaneGirl wrote: A Game of Thrones - If you've read the books you know how awesome this series is. The board game brings the politics and characters to life! I never could find it because they were OOP at the factory, but now it looks like they have made more. Now if I just had a job...
[/color]
I have a copy of A Game of Thrones open at the store (Classic City), as well as the expansions if you guys ever want to give it a try.

Jon
Classic City Comics & Games
1063 - B Baxter St
Athens Ga 30606
706-583-9009

Mister Joshua
n00b

Post by Mister Joshua » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:39 am

Okay, I just made plans to help moderate a debate online on the 5th (Sunday).

Please post when would be a good time for you if you are interested in getting together this week.

Nightbane
Terminator

Post by Nightbane » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:08 am

Every Friday night the gamers association meets in the bottom of Tate Center in the student activities section at 7, we normally play a few board games, card games, D&D, all kinds of things, you are more then welcome to join us there if you'd like.

if you have any questions about anything I would be glad to answer them.
W/L/D
Knights Templar (BT Space Marines)--17/15/3

Born to fight, trained to kill, ready to die, but never will.

Mister Joshua
n00b

Post by Mister Joshua » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:10 pm

Thanks, Nightbane! Excellent. I appreciate the invite!

HurricaneGirl and I have been discussing organizing a small get together some time this week. We're probably looking for 2 or 3 other people besides ourselves. If anyone is interested in participating, please PM me and let me know. As it could turn into a big tangle if we have too many people, this first get together would be limited.

So, PM me if you're interested and available from Monday (6th) to Thursday (9th).

Cripple X
Chapter Master

Post by Cripple X » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:42 am

I sent both Phil & Steve a PM about setting up a "Board Games" subforum here on AGU. The genre is popular and there's no reason why it shouldn't have its own forum here. They're both great guys, one of them should get back to me soon.

Cripple X
Chapter Master

Post by Cripple X » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:49 pm

Have any of you played Agricola? It is rated the #1 game on boardgamegeeks.com and I'd read some pretty good stuff about it, so I picked it up a few days ago. I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but I hope to have the opportunity to try it out this weekend.

Nightbane
Terminator

Post by Nightbane » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:17 pm

Thats actually a really fun game. I didn't think it would be nearly as un as it was.
W/L/D
Knights Templar (BT Space Marines)--17/15/3

Born to fight, trained to kill, ready to die, but never will.

HurricaneGirl
Veteran

Post by HurricaneGirl » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:03 pm

I edited my "have" section in the above post.

Very eager to find some 'Thrones players!

Also, If you are a fan of the books, HBO has just given the green light for production on the live mini series based on the books. Yay!!

C