Advanced Squad Leader

Talk about new Board Games, Comics, Novels, Books, TV, movie, and video releases here.
Rymbeld
n00b

Advanced Squad Leader

Post by Rymbeld » Tue May 22, 2007 9:41 pm

I'm guessing no-one here plays this game, but hey. I'm just getting into it, via VASL, an on-line virtual tabletop experience (they have a VASSL Warhammer module out there, too for you Warhammer guys).

ASL is the ultimate, greatest squad-based WWII combat game. I played just one scenario and was completely blown away. I can probably play it on-line whenever I want, but I'd like to get some face to face play in. I can teach you whatever I know about the game if you're curious but don't know what it is. Just PM me or whatever.

Keep in mind that it is a complex hex-and-counter wargame.

joshua1281
n00b

Post by joshua1281 » Mon May 28, 2007 12:35 pm

I have Starter Kit 2, and I started going through the rules and quickly felt like I had to have someone show me. I would love to play sometime, but you would have to teach me the game.

Josh

Rymbeld
n00b

Post by Rymbeld » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:04 pm

The game was extremely fun. All you 30+ people who viewed this thread and didn't respond are seriously missing out.

Moto Akikazu
n00b

Post by Moto Akikazu » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:31 am

I am one of those people that viewed the thread and didn't reply. I played Squad Leader as a teen, and it was fun, but confusing.

I am thinking about getting starter kit #1, just to check it out. I will probably have to order it online. I haven't seen it at the stores around here.

Thanks for all the info about Virtual ASL!

Rymbeld
n00b

Post by Rymbeld » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:26 pm

I think gamersarmory.com has the best prices on ASL stuff. And of course I'm available to play and teach if you want to try the game out that way.

Moto Akikazu
n00b

Post by Moto Akikazu » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:17 pm

Ok, I just ordered the ASL Starter kit #1 online. I do better learning by myself first, and then having someone fill in the gaps. I'll learn the basics and give you a PM after that.

This game ought to be different than what I am used to--each counter representing battalions, and divisions. Making sure I have a clear line of supply behind me, cutting off the opponents supply. Forming a tight line so the enemies tanks can't break through. Making a controlled retreat--moving backwards but still slowing down the attacker and making his life miserable. As you can see, I have played more on the "operational" scale.

Rymbeld
n00b

Post by Rymbeld » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:14 pm

Moto Akikazu wrote:Ok, I just ordered the ASL Starter kit #1 online. I do better learning by myself first, and then having someone fill in the gaps. I'll learn the basics and give you a PM after that.
Ok, cool.
This game ought to be different than what I am used to--
yep, I think ASL feels much more like Chess than wargames on a larger scale. It sounds like you've played plenty of wargames.
each counter representing battalions, and divisions. Making sure I have a clear line of supply behind me, cutting off the opponents supply. Forming a tight line so the enemies tanks can't break through. Making a controlled retreat--moving backwards but still slowing down the attacker and making his life miserable. As you can see, I have played more on the "operational" scale.
Sounds very much like my experience playing A Victory Lost! I've got two games of that going right now--it's a very tense game.