Hey, you! Don't want to play 4th ed?

The classic pen and paper RPG
SoldierOfFortune
Veteran

Hey, you! Don't want to play 4th ed?

Post by SoldierOfFortune » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:54 pm

You don't have to!
Paizo, the former publisher of Dungeon and Dragon magazines, has decided not to wait for 4th ed, and is going ahead with their own roleplaying game, Pathfinder.
Pathfinder is basically 3.75 edition, and designed to be backwards compatable with all existing 3rd. edition OGL material. They plan to put a hardcover book out in August, but right now there's an alpha pdf available FREE on their website (www.paizo.com) it currently details the basic races in 3.5 edition, the fighter, cleric, wizard, and rogue, and how they plan to detail skills and feats.
I'm really stoked about this. 3.5 edition had its problems, especially with higher level play and the power creep from the splatbook races and classes, but right now I think this is the best thing since sliced bread. This fall, I'm highly considering running a Pathfinder campaign.
Check out the site out, read it and tell me what you think.

kbm99
Scout

Post by kbm99 » Sat May 03, 2008 10:22 am

The hardback book will be available August of 2009.

4th Edition will hit the shelves long before Pathfinder is ready to go. As I said in another thread, if you think 3rd Edition works great, you'll probably like Pathfinder. My impression of it was that, rather than fix the underlying problems with 3e, Pathfinder either ignores them or (in some cases) makes them worse. I am not sure how "backwards compatible" with 3e it will end up being, either, as there is considerable "power creep" in the rules they've published so far.

Of course, this is based on a rather casual reading of the rules so far. If you do decide to run a game, I'd be very interested in seeing some session write-ups or getting your first-hand impressions with the system.