Pathfinder (DnD 3.75)

The classic pen and paper RPG
Steve
Primarch

Pathfinder (DnD 3.75)

Post by Steve » Fri May 02, 2008 3:13 pm

http://paizo.com/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG/v5748btpy8253

Looks way cool :-)

I might be thinking of trying it in the near future.

kbm99
Scout

Post by kbm99 » Sat May 03, 2008 10:17 am

I'm more interested in 4th Edition myself, but I did download the first Pathfinder RPG book and give it a once-over. My initial impression was not good. If you are one of those folks who thinks 3rd Edition is fine and not in need of any real changes, you'll probably like it. I happen to think the underlying problems with 3e can't be patched, they have to be either worked around (which I've had to do in every game I've run) or the system needs a serious overhaul.

opieself
Tactical Marine

Post by opieself » Sat May 03, 2008 4:17 pm

On my first brief read through I think it is exactly what it says it is. Its for people who are unwilling to pony up 4th ed. for whatever reason. Reading their sidebar notes I can see the are stumbling on things the 4th is addressing, things like hit points, I also think it is odd that they felt that all race needed a negative stat mod, if they all just have positive then there would be no need to balance. Class's seem to either bee a dead horse with a large size club using monkey grip feat. Barbarian rage now has a different mechanic that will require DM's to arbitrate the effects of rage Feats. Clerics can cast 0-level spells? Why... if you want to say they cast Orisons well then They can just 1st lvl ones, Clerics shouldn't be wizards. Left in Alignment as a feature that affects class >-< of all the worthless things in DnD Alignment sits at the top of my most hated list.

On the positive side art work looks frankly incredible, some actions seem simplified, spells look easier (Honestly I didn't read through them 3e spells always irked me too many of them and they all basically fell into various effect group, but I digress) I would like to see them out together the ranger as it and the Pali are my two favorite class' and I know more about their class features than the rest.

But it is what it is, 3e more refined more rules oriented, more stuff to track. After a play test of 4e I am completely sold on the ease of the turns, the plausible differences between class with similar abillities etc.
opieself

SoldierOfFortune
Veteran

Post by SoldierOfFortune » Sun May 04, 2008 10:59 pm

I'm getting the itch to DM. I'd be glad to run Pathfinder- I've been reading over my Midnight books and I'd like to give it a run.

zerotkatama
Scout

Post by zerotkatama » Mon May 12, 2008 12:50 am

Oooh. Midnight. I picked up the core book when FFG was having its sale so I meight wanna give that a try