4th ed. Announced TODAY

The classic pen and paper RPG
Cripple X
Chapter Master

Post by Cripple X » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:08 pm

This really seems to be shaping up as a worthwhile product.

kbm99
Scout

Post by kbm99 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:00 pm

To answer my own question, WOTC employees posting on the 4th Ed. forums have confirmed that 4th Ed. will be part of the OGL and there will be a 4th Ed. SRD. That makes me happy, at least.

CleverName
Veteran

Post by CleverName » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:35 pm

kbm99 wrote:
CleverName wrote:Also, Wizards committed to producing the same amount/quality of free material on the web. I'm sure they will be teasers for the pay content though.
So, in that same vein, what about the OGL? Any news?
There will be an SRD, and I assume an OGL as well.

This FAQ answers A LOT of questions:

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=908272

CleverName
Veteran

Post by CleverName » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:08 pm

for fun:

CleverName
Veteran

Post by CleverName » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:06 am

FYI: according to this thread (http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=204744)

PHB, MM, and DMG will be annual releases. The idea is to compile new classes, options and monsters into one book a year. The rest of the releases will be spent on campaigns, and settings -- perhaps even Greyhawk may get its own book. That would be cool, having never been a FR fan.

Cripple X
Chapter Master

Post by Cripple X » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:35 am

So instead of something like the complete series they just issue one PHB a year with a ton of content? One book instead of twelve?

If done that way settings should see a lot more support. I for one do hope they continue to support the FR. Its still got a pretty loyal core fanbase.

kbm99
Scout

Post by kbm99 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:48 am

Cripple X wrote:So instead of something like the complete series they just issue one PHB a year with a ton of content? One book instead of twelve?

If done that way settings should see a lot more support. I for one do hope they continue to support the FR. Its still got a pretty loyal core fanbase.
I was never a FR fan but I am sure they aren't going away. In fact the RPGA "Living Greyhawk" campaign is being ditched in favor of a "Living Forgotten Realms" campaign.

CleverName
Veteran

Post by CleverName » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:31 am

Cripple X wrote:So instead of something like the complete series they just issue one PHB a year with a ton of content? One book instead of twelve?

FR will remain the most supported setting for 4e. It will get the first setting book, etc. It will be the organized play. "Living" setting, etc. FR will be king.

Eberron's not going away, though.

Greyhawk is the real puzzle for me. It will NOT be the default setting for D&D, instead they are going to use myth and some made-up stuff. For example the sample gods will be ones like Thor, and new gods.

Personally I know that GH is a personal favorite among many of the developers, and is my favorite too. I am hoping that it will be the third setting book and/or get a lot of online development in D&D Insider - the for-pay content on the web.

Cripple X
Chapter Master

Post by Cripple X » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:39 am

CleverName wrote: FR will remain the most supported setting for 4e. It will get the first setting book, etc. It will be the organized play. "Living" setting, etc. FR will be king.

Eberron's not going away, though.

Greyhawk is the real puzzle for me. It will NOT be the default setting for D&D, instead they are going to use myth and some made-up stuff. For example the sample gods will be ones like Thor, and new gods.

Personally I know that GH is a personal favorite among many of the developers, and is my favorite too. I am hoping that it will be the third setting book and/or get a lot of online development in D&D Insider - the for-pay content on the web.
That sucks about Greyhawk. It's mostly what I played for a long time when I was introduced to D&D. I really don't want it to be left by the wayside. I think it makes for a very good Iconic setting.

I really expected they would make Eberron their "Core Setting," the one on which they focus most of their setting energy.

CleverName
Veteran

FR 4e info from the web

Post by CleverName » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:44 am

From some forum:

GRAND HISTORY
- The timeline provided would stretch beyond the "current date";
- There will be new dates provided ove and above what was in the PDF GHotR;
- The prose "vignettes" that feature will be 'point-of-view' excerpts that put the reader 'in' that historical timeline event that is being showcased or give them a look at that event from the POV of an observer;

ANAUROCH
- Not much said but the plot has its origins in a "ruined city now reclaimed and a great magical treasure that the 'bad guys' shouldn't get".

SWORDS of DRAGONFIRE
- Ed describes it as his 'best balanced' novel that he's written for WotC;
- The KoMD won't actually get to Shadowdale by the end of the trilogy but this book and the next ("The Sword Never Sleeps") are a fantastic aid to any Cormyr campaign. Several of the movers and shakers of the Zhentarim are featured and Hesperdan play a role also;

ANNOTATED ELMINSTER
- Many extra bits with long essays nd also some of Ed's own personal artwork;

FRCS (4E)
- Will be available at GEN-CON 2008 and we will be seeing some "pretty significant changes";

Also mentioned were two further unnamed FR 4E products highlighting races and classes in the Realms and a major 4E adventure respectively.

SWORDMAGE
- A HD novel by Rich Baker which is the first of a trilogy in the 4E Realms. It's set in Hulburg in the Moonsea and has a smaller focus and isn't associated with any RSE;

READER'S GUIDE TO RA SALVATORE'S LEGENDS OF DRIZZT
- Coffee table book (like a Marvel encyclopedia) with descriptions the world, characters and art.

After the products the floor was open to questions and answers. These were as follows:

Q. Will there be a map or gazette?
A. Further map products will be associated with the 4E FRCS. The focus will be on Faerun. The rest of the Realms can be explored in the DI. The are also considering an official FR Wikipedia. Chris Perkins of WotC said that he would love a globe of Toril (which was met with cheers from the fans) but that this was unlikely.

Q. Is there anything happening to Mystra or the Weave?
A. The 2E to 3E change was one done on a retconning basis (i.e. "it was always like that") - they've decided that the 3E to 4E change wll be more in line with th 1E to 2E change. An in-game story/explanation will showcase the rule changes. As to what this explanation will be, it will be a catastrophe called the "Spellplague". It was noted that 'Expedition to Undermountain' and what happened to Halaster was a foreshadowing of this event - Halaster was trying to do something about it, but failed - badly. It was also noted that something akin to this "catastrophe" had happened before and had been mentioned in the 1E FR boxed set.

Q. Real time ad Reams time. Will the progression be faster, slower or the same?
A. Going forward, the current tme progression will still remain true. The Spellplagu will occur in the Year of Blue Fire (1385 DR).

Q. Will there be a poster map in 4E?
A. Yes there will be a poster in the 4E FRCS and in future adventures. The DI will have tactical maps, town maps etc.

Q. Will we get the real map of the Yawning Portal?
A. Chris Perkins was going to look into it - likely would be avalable on the DI.

Q. Will WotC publish regional/general books or adventures?
A. The adventure focus lately in the schedule was because of 4E. There is no regional or theme book on the 2008 schedule because of 4E. The 4E FRCS will handle the need for regional/theme books in 2008. In the transition, the DDI is happy to support articles along those lines (and they invite suggestions and submissions). Every two weeks there will be a column on the DI called "Realmslore" which will be game mechanics free till the release of 4E (i.e. 'pure' realmslore) and will initially feature various small, geographic locations throughout the Realms. Suggestions re locations are sought also.

Q. Will there be more Volo's Guides?
A. Not likely to see printed products of this nature. Volo's style articles could be done for the DI and Ed was keen to do so.

Q. Will there be 4E changes or races that will be class specific?
A. WotC's view is that the Realms benefits where the core mechanics and the FR mechanics are consistent with each othe and not divergent For example, subraces in the Realms will be a cultural difference rather than a game mechanics difference. There might be FR specific racial feats.

Q. Will there still be a regional focus for PCs in FR?
A. The regions will not be constraining as they were in 3E and will again be background, story flavour, not game mechanics.

Q. Will the 4E game mechanics gel with the novel characters?
A. The 4E ranger will have two weapon fighting because they know who the most popular ranger is in the Realms! The adical novel exploits of some characters will be dealt with in terms of character classes being able to do something like a "heroic exploit".

Q. How will long-running campaigns be suited to the 3E to 4E changeover? Will those campaigns be able to continue with just the new game mechanics?
A. People will be best suited to ending their campaign and starting anew.

Q. Things like spellwebs, mythals, mantles and High Magic in 3E are not true the lore. Will 4E be better?
A. Yes and no. Some tools will help and one of them will relate to "unique magics" - in circumstances where one off magics are needed. They don't want to ramp up abilties for wizards to the detriment of the other classes.

Q. Will the Spellplague affect the ability for campaigns to be set earlier in the timeline?
A. You have the option to introduce the effects of the Spellplague earlier.

Q. Will some of the 'staple NPCs' of the Realms be replaced in the 4E transition?
A. Yes, because the Realms is a living world. There will be a changing of the guard but Drizzt and Elminster will still be around.

Q. The Spellplague or the ToT - which is the worse RSE?
A. The Spellplague can be seen as related to the ToT and something of a ripple effect. Not worse or better, just different - but Waterdeep won't be sinking anytime soon. However, some places will get "played with".

Q. Will he next bunch of novels be set in the 4E Realms?
A. Depends on the writer. Swordmage will be. Other novels, like Ed's latest trilogy, will be set in the past. Eventually further novels will be taking place on the edge of the 4E timeline.

Q. Indexes in sourcebooks?
A. Tension between content and index. Indexes can go in and they can now put the content out with the DI.

Q. Will there be an effort to have rules and game mechanics that are grounded in realmslore?
A. WotC's question in response is if something is so great that it needs rules of its own, why isn't that in the core products? They dislike having differentiation between FR and the core as this inhibits crossover gaming. Keep in mind that the Realms is a campaign setting and not a ruleset in its own right. Is something like a mythal a game mechanic or a story element?

Q. Will there be adventures in 4E?
A. Yes. They've realised that not all DMs have the time to do their own.

Q. Lore v crunch - what will be the balance?
A. Ratio is going to change. Focus in 3E has been on mechanical elements. Now they want to write and present story elements, new flavour and adventure/realmslore hooks.

Q. Will there be a novel series to explain the Spellplague?
A. Not really. The Spellplague is a realms-wide event and story elements in relation t it will be featured in many products and the DI.

Q. Will there be changes in how magic items are dealt with in 4E?
A. The 3E system will be abandoned in 4E. The new system is more intuitive and less mathematical.

Other matters discussed were as follows:

- There will be FR adventure support in the DI both now and when 4E arrives.

CleverName
Veteran

Post by CleverName » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:53 am

Not surprisingly they ain't saying just what else will be offered. A couple of folks hinted that there would be a DI Annual in print. Kind of like best of Dungeon/Dragon all cobbled together.

With their limited resources and HUGE digital push, my guess is that they will no longer have the man-hours to crank out 20+ books a year. So they will rely on fewer books with much more general appeal. IF they do a good job, pretty much every D&D player involved in an ongoing game will pick up this year's PHB, instead of the few who might be interested in a product like Frostburn, or Lords of Madness.

doctor who
n00b

Post by doctor who » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:20 pm

i hope these rules are back-compatible with the gazillion or so reissued hardbacks that wizards publishes ... i think i might get my old-school dm's guide (with the green robed guy and the doors) and kick it like an OG.