40k MMO???

The complete resource for PC Games, consoles, and handheld gaming.
Morbidangel
Chapter Master

40k MMO???

Post by Morbidangel » Thu May 22, 2008 3:43 pm

Hey guys. I was just killing some time and thought i woudl go to tentonhammer and look up more info on warhammer online. I happened to notice they had warhammer 40k listed in there list of MMO games.
http://www.tentonhammer.com/taxonomy/term/222

So...apparently its in the very early stages but theres hope to the future that the avid 40k players can also partake in an MMO one day.
Lunar Drakes(marines): 2/4/0
Total Points Painted: about 1500 of 6500

Tau, Elsy'eir sept: 0/0/0
Total Points Painted: 350 of 1500

Clan Sarz-Skaven: 0/0/0
Total Points Painted: 0 of 3k
Image Image

Abaddon
Site Admin

Post by Abaddon » Fri May 23, 2008 8:09 am

So do you guys think having all of these GW video games will help or hurt the hobby?
Eldar 15-3-0
Space Orks 8-3-2
Orcs 5-3-1
Dark Elves 4-2

Morbidangel
Chapter Master

Post by Morbidangel » Fri May 23, 2008 8:31 am

well personally i think it will hurt as well as help the hobby. You will find new people introduced to the world of 40k, much like dawn of war did. You had some new hobbiest introduced to the miniature side thanks to the video game. However you will probably lose players of the mini game to the hobby as the video game, especially an MMO will be easier and much more addictive, so you will lose players as well as gain some.
But i feel that an MMO version will more than likely hurt the game more than help it, as its hard to find time to do both. If they already have an army they can hit up tournaments and nights of play but its not gonna boost the new armies being played and painted. At the same time if could boost those who are painting armies as players will just simply not have the time to paint there armies cause they are spending there extra time now playing an MMO.
Lunar Drakes(marines): 2/4/0
Total Points Painted: about 1500 of 6500

Tau, Elsy'eir sept: 0/0/0
Total Points Painted: 350 of 1500

Clan Sarz-Skaven: 0/0/0
Total Points Painted: 0 of 3k
Image Image

opieself
Tactical Marine

Post by opieself » Fri May 23, 2008 9:11 am

I think it will help A good bit. Gw is spinning its wheels right now. COnstant loss on its stocks, new games constantly nipping at its heels. It needs to find a center for its gaming and soon. DoW, WAR, and whatever Acronym this game will use will help them by having an outside source take a critical eye at the game and say hey WTF?!? baybs with tubes in their heads...yeah not a good selling point. Orks in space with guns made from tin Cans? Awesome push that instead.

As far as player base... Meh, People who Play MMoO's will keep playing, people wo play War games will Kepp playing, just a little more crossbreeding in the mix.

Just my thoughts

oh and it depends on whether GW spends to much time trying to control it, it could just go the way of the original Warhammer MMO.
opieself